San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Quote:
Hi Al, I looked up the Naturewise after you mentioned it and now mine LOVE it. They just finished the 50lb bag of the starter. I am going to go and grab more of the grower.

I have never used the Ace Hi Quick Gro but with my last batch of chickens, I used Ace Hi because a feed store really close to me sells it. They were fine on it.

Nancy

yippiechickie.gif
I cannot wait for the next Meetup. It was so nice to meet everyone last time. The 22nd is good with me.
thumbsup.gif

I felt so bad last time not having anything to share that I plan on making it up this time. Let me know what I can bring food and game prize wise.

I plan on hatching some quails and if anyone is interested, lmk and I will order more to hatch. I will bring them to the meet up.

Nancy

I have never have quails before and might want to try on a pair. How do you tell the males from the females? What do you feed them? Do you keep them inside or outside?
smile.png

Quote:
Al, there may be other people that can answer about sexing. My dad raised the quails and I just enjoyed them. I love to eat them and the eggs. I actually just bought some quail eggs for Shabu Shabu the other day. They are so tasty.

My dad raised them outside in a 4 or 5 tier breeding cages. I plan on having them outside in a large coop. I am hoping on some for eggs and I will have some of the males processed. I will see how it goes. I hope I answered some of your questions.

Nancy

Sorry! I forgot to answer the part about the feed. Gamebird feed and everyone sells it. Kruse's and I believe Naturewise has one too.

Nancy

I heard that they can not be kept in a large cage because they would fly and break their necks, my sons loves their eggs.

I was looking at some of the setups for quails and they all seem to to very open, would they get cold? I guess they must be able to stand the weather better than the chickens.
smile.png

Quote:
Al, there may be other people that can answer about sexing. My dad raised the quails and I just enjoyed them. I love to eat them and the eggs. I actually just bought some quail eggs for Shabu Shabu the other day. They are so tasty.

My dad raised them outside in a 4 or 5 tier breeding cages. I plan on having them outside in a large coop. I am hoping on some for eggs and I will have some of the males processed. I will see how it goes. I hope I answered some of your questions.

Nancy

22nd looks good for me, too!

Did you choose a venue yet? If weather becomes an issue, I know the owners of the Sizzler in Ramona (they are chicken people, too!)... I could ask about their room availability if there's any interest in being indoors.

Quote:

Nancy

Al, He never had them in an area where they could fly so I guess there was a reason for it. He kept his in the breeder cages like I mentioned. I plan on a coop split up into "apartments". I think they are fine outside and if you are concerned, I guess you could cover it at night. Mine are going to be in a coop in a covered patio. I use to hatch and brood them for my dad in the same back room that I brooded my chicks in. When they were big enough, he got them.

I do not care for pigeons which they have in Chinese restaurants but I LOVE quail. Yeah, I am like your son then, Quail eggs are YUMMY.

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom