San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

I love the fact that really young cockerels crow as though it is involuntary and they are so surprised at the big sound that comes out of their mouths....One more thing to love about chickens.

Any one want some Toulouse goslings?
They are SUPER cute. DD is selling them for $15 each.
Will post pics later.

These are so much fun to raise as they follow you around everywhere!
pics:

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
My2 dogs (chihuahua and pug) are getting on in age and I was thinking I would like to get another for my boy to grow up with. I'm looking for any small breed, the smaller the better, mixed is ok. I need it to be a puppy OR a dog that is already ok with the chickens. If anyone knows anyone that might have what I'm looking for please PM me. I don't have 100's of dollars to spend, but a fee is ok. I could also do trades.Thanks!

I thought I was buying 2 Welsummer hens this weekend but when I got them home I realized they are Brown Leghorns! Bah! I kind of want to rehome them. They are flighty but is anyone interested? Or does anyone have any good experiences with this breed that could convince me I should keep them? They do seem like healthy birds and have pretty feathers.

Those Leghorns will lay and lay and lay and lay and lay... I like having some white eggs in my egg basket, too. (Especially if you stick them next to a nice, dark Marans egg!) Breed them to an Ameraucana and get some Super Blue Egg Machines!

I have three teenage Welsummer pullets here if you decide you'd like the real thing; I really don't need to keep them all.
smile.png

I thought I was buying 2 Welsummer hens this weekend but when I got them home I realized they are Brown Leghorns! Bah! I kind of want to rehome them. They are flighty but is anyone interested? Or does anyone have any good experiences with this breed that could convince me I should keep them? They do seem like healthy birds and have pretty feathers.

I'll admit I know very little about Brown (or White) Leghorns... I figured they all were laying machines.
idunno.gif
I do like white eggs, though!

The Wellies are from Renee's (All-American-Chick) stock, and they seem quite nice. The egg colors they hatched from was a pretty, speckled deep brown. If I remember correctly, they were hatched right around March 1, so they're about 6 weeks now. I can take some current photos if you'd like.

They sound lovely but I am hoping to get some hens closer to point of lay. I just got two 5 month old hens and it would be great to get 2 more. I am not dead set on Wellies... I kinda want some Orphingtons. What I really want is some friendly hens that will lay up a storm for me! My household is fighting over the eggs we get so we need some more. Thanks for offering though :)

Back
Top Bottom