San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

I know its a chicken meet up, but if anyone is interested I am looking to re-home (small fee) a blue (pedigreed) mini rex buck, a non-pedigreed Netherland dwarf buck, and still have the 5 ducks that no one likes despite thier cute crests. LOL If anyone says they want a rabbit, I will bring it, otherwise I will not be bringing the rabbits to the meetup. Let me know.

Would anyone want Mille Fleur cochin chicks? I can probably spare a few of those guys....

Oh also, looking for lavender Ameraucana chicks or a lavender Ameraucana cockerel.

Last edited:
Can anyone take on some orphan chicks? I woke up this morning to three more chickens than I had last night. Apparently someone dumped them in my yard overnight. Two are young barred rock chicks, maybe 6-7 weeks old and I believe one is a pullet and one is a cockerel. There is also a strange looking white chicken that has a serama body (albeit a bit larger than a serama), a silky head, and feathered legs. Hard to say if it's a pullet or cockerel, and it seems full grown - I haven't heard rooster sounds yet. All appear to be healthy and well fed. I was able to catch the barred rocks, but am still trying to catch the white bird. I can't beleive someone would just dump them, but given my entire yard is enclosed in 5' chain link I find it hard to belelive they just wandered in from somewhere. I can't keep anymore chickens. I'm up to 32, even calculating using creative chicken math. I've filled three coops and am tired of cleaning water jugs.

I do plan to go to the meet-up - please let me know if anyone is interested - free to good home.

Hey I just saw these plastic shipping crates for $45 each on craigslist - am thinking they could make great brooders. What do you all think? http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/for/3015569016.html

I have four of these I bought off an avocado roadside Vendor. Mine are the kind that are used to wash the fruit right in the container. They are perforated. I use them as hay feeders. I absolutely LOVE mine.

The craigslist ad shows the kind that are not perforated. They also talk about them being good for water troughs. The material is easy to cut with a saws all and is UV Stabilized. I would say buy as many as you can get your hands on because you will find all sorts of usses for them...

If I had any money at all I would probably buy about four of them to raise tilapia in.

deb

The two cockerels I keep mentioning started trying to crow at 5 am this morning. "Trying" because they are 5 1/2 weeks old, and making that tortured throaty noise that very young roos make. They must've sparred a bit this morning, because when I went in around 9:30 am both had obviously been pecked around the head, and neither looked like that yesterday evening.

We're in the 'burbs and so these fellas have to go ASAP. If someone wants to raise them up to size and eat them, so be it. The leghorn exchequer/cochin mix is nice (he's the hatching chick in my profile) but the Ameraucana/cochin mix is kind of a snot. Maybe the rest of my chicks are super friendly, and the Ameraucana mix only seems snotty in comparison.
hu.gif

I'm bringing them tomorrow, and one way or another they need to find somewhere else to be young roosters.
smack.gif

I have four of these I bought off an avocado roadside Vendor. Mine are the kind that are used to wash the fruit right in the container. They are perforated. I use them as hay feeders. I absolutely LOVE mine.

The craigslist ad shows the kind that are not perforated. They also talk about them being good for water troughs. The material is easy to cut with a saws all and is UV Stabilized. I would say buy as many as you can get your hands on because you will find all sorts of usses for them...

If I had any money at all I would probably buy about four of them to raise tilapia in.

deb

I can't afford any right now. :( But I thought some of my BYC friends might be interested. So you can raise tilapia in them? Wow!

Hi - Is he a pureberd? What are you asking for him?

thank you.

laurel

Opps - posted this wrong--not good at this! My question is related to the person that said they had a Blue Ameraucana rooster to re-home.

Last edited:
Hi - Is he a pureberd? What are you asking for him?

thank you.

laurel

Opps - posted this wrong--not good at this! My question is related to the person that said they had a Blue Ameraucana rooster to re-home.

Hi Laurel! I owned this guy previously, and he is a full brother to my current roo shown below. (Both are pure Ameraucanas.) I tried to find a good picture of Mr. Blue, but I can't find any on my computer...

PS - that's one of the Blue Andalusians I got from you next to him!
smile.png

I can't wait to see how many boxes HemetDennis is bringing...
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom