September Hatch-A-Long

We had to move broody to a different nest this morning because the other girls would not leave her alone. Well don't you know she will not sit. I'm not sure how long she has been off maybe 8 hours? Is their any hope that are still viable? I quickly made a homemade bator. I have a small cooler with a light and a warm wet washcloth over them. Right now the temp is around 99. Please any advice!

We had to move broody to a different nest this morning because the other girls would not leave her alone. Well don't you know she will not sit. I'm not sure how long she has been off maybe 8 hours? Is their any hope that are still viable? I quickly made a homemade bator. I have a small cooler with a light and a warm wet washcloth over them. Right now the temp is around 99. Please any advice!

Broody's moved during the day typically will not accept a new nesting spot...Heck I had one we moved at night twice and she refused it... if you let her back to the flock she probably will go right back to her nest. Is there a way to protect her where she was sitting?

Oh my, I hope hope she gets broody again, I think the cooler was a good move just as long as you can keep the temp stable.

Not looking good temp is going up to 104. I get it back to 99 then back up. I can't babysit them for the next two weeks. I'll give it a few days then candle again and see what happens.

Funny thing about Trader Joe's: You're either a fan or you aren't. The produce quality is good and their frozen fish is great! Good wine selection. And then just various and assorted sundry foodstuffs. Not as pricey as Whole Foods (thank goodness!) but on a par with quality. They're also privately held, so no stocks to buy otherwise I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Anyway, I used to live in Las Vegas and we'd get A LOT of Hawaiian Islanders come to visit. They'd bring an extra suitcase and load up on stuff gleaned at Trader Joe's. No lie!

Chicks hatched are either some type of production leghorn or Amber Whites. At any rate, for a mere under $3/doz for hatching eggs it's a bargain.

Not looking good temp is going up to 104. I get it back to 99 then back up. I can't babysit them for the next two weeks. I'll give it a few days then candle again and see what happens.

Are you a still air or forced air incubator? Still air not so big a deal to have the high stuff happening. Bet you're using a digital thermometer, right? The old fashioned liquid ones will give you a more accurate steady reading. I tossed the digital as it kept doing exactly the same thing you're saying is happening...fluctuates between 99 and 104. The thing is that the incubators heat up and the high temp is just the apex at the location the thermometer is reading. The top of my digital was higher than the eggs, so not so concerned about the occasional spike which the incubator does to keep the temps up. A liquid thermometer floating at egg top shows a steady 102...which is still-air Nirvana. Another thermometer at bator floor registers in the 99-100 range.

Now, forced air is another matter. There you want cooler (99-100).

I'm in as soon as the eggs I ordered arrive. I have 36 Icelandic eggs ordered. The incubator is up and running to check if it is holding temperature. I will also add some from my one Black Australorp pullet that is laying. She has only thrown out six eggs and three of the first four were fertilized (had the bullseye) and the last couple are notably bigger.

My roo is an EE and I am really curious about what the combination will look like. I have two eggs set back and will add whatever she lays till the other eggs get here as long as there is room in the incubator. This will be my first hatch so I am kind of nervous, but have done a lot of research so I think I am ready. Will post as soon as the eggs arrive. Good luck to all of you with your hatches!

Back
Top Bottom