September Hatch-A-Long

I wish I had found this thread 3 weeks ago! Today is hatch day and my first one started pipping yesterday and was out by 5:30 this morning, I have two more out now, 7 more eggs to go. They are buff, white and lavender orpingtons from hinkjc. Looks like all the hatched chicks are white, next to go is a lavender and the buff. I count 5 pipped eggs out of 7 so we'll see how the next few hours pan out.
Yay for chicks!! Glad they are hatching for you !!
jumpy.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif

Thank DBS (darkbluespace) I'll relax. Do you think she's a sussex? I can try for a more detailed picture. She's standing up but eyes are still closed.

I may try a little bit more towards dry hatching this next time around. I seem to recall one of my best hatches was where I forgot to fill the reservoirs for the first week or so (oops) and the air cells were a little bigger, but I had an 85+% rate on shipped eggs. I recall it was kind of hard to keep the humidity up as it was in the desert, too.

This last time daily humidity was in the 40% bracket, so it was easy to keep the humidity up with very little water in the incubator... but I'm really liking the idea of a little more neglect and less worry via the dry hatch method.

Eggs arrive (possibly) tomorrow and Friday!
ya.gif
Love to set me some purty eggs!

I am doing the dry hatch method currently with my 1st hatch. I just add a bit of water every 4 days on a piece of paper towel. Right now I have 10 live embryos out of 14 shipped eggs. I don't even have a hygrometer right now, but after reading the Incubation Cheat Sheet in the Learning Center Written by ChooksChicks, I figured I didn't need it. We will see I guess.

Almost lost a chick, our alpha hen was upset cause my broody wouldn't let her get into the nesting box. So alpha attack broody (shes never attacking another hen before) and then grabbed a chick and threw it. Thank the stars I was standing right there. I picked up the poor bleeding chick and put it in my sweatshirt pocket then grabbed the mean hen the tossed her out of the coop. This only made her more made as she ran around the coop clucking and trying to get back in. I was planning to wait till all the chicks were hatch before moving them into the dog house turned nursery but made a quick choice and moved broody the two already hatched chicks and the two zipping into the nursery now. Afterward I let the alpha hen back in the coop wheres shes now in the nesting box and as happy as can be. Broody seems to be fine even though i moved her. She back on the chicks. The chick looks like she'll be ok a little blood and a scratch but doesn't look deep. To much drama! My heart can't take it.
YIKES! Glad the baby is ok! DH read this over my shoulder and he said, "If that was our chicken it'd be soup." Lol he loves the babies and has become protective over them but he won't admit it!
Thank DBS (darkbluespace) I'll relax. Do you think she's a sussex? I can try for a more detailed picture. She's standing up but eyes are still closed.
Poor baby get better! Idk what she is besides really cute!!!

. Four little chicks! I think 3 are girls and 1s a boys. Will take more pictures soon don't wanna stress them out to much.

Are these the Cream Legbars? If so, I'm thinking the other way around as the white spot on top of the head indicates boychick.
hide.gif

edited for spellin'

Last edited:
So I recounted my days and had been off a little bit. Tonight is lockdown bit they are bantam eggs and at least one is already moving. Never when I look at it but it isn't where I left it.

Back
Top Bottom