September Hatch-A-Long

Finished day ten candling.. 37 eggs going strong, removed a couple that we questionable and are now confirmed quitters.... personally I think starting with 56 was to much, there were some I know were fertile that were non starters and I wonder if they were to far away from the heat, ( I have a still air).... amazingly and hopefully I am not jinxing it) all the EE eggs are going strong... I think their are 17 of those.....

set 12 under the new broody this evening, 9 of those are EE eggs
wink.png

I feel like an idiot..

I quit using my turner because I didn't feel it was turning the eggs correctly or gently, the last two hatches I have done without it I got great hatch rates, so I opt for hand turning... Dropped an egg early on and broke it...Have been really careful since... Woke up at 4:30 am and decided to go ahead and turn the eggs, halfway thru I dropped one of the EE eggs onto another EE egg!!!!
hit.gif
Both have a very small hairline crack near the pointy end , one is alittle worse than the other... Grabbed the Paraffin wax and put a thin layer along each crack on the eggs... I am hoping because it was a minor crack and not up near the aircell and no fluid was leaking that they will be ok, if they weren't jarred to death by the impact
sad.png
...how stupid!!! I feel so bad!! The EE eggs are what my customer is most interested in and I was so proud that all of those eggs were doing so well... up until now!!

Last edited:
What a night!! I had 13 eggs in lockdown and it looks like I might end up with 9 chicks :fl     I had 3 DIS, two never pipped internally, one ran out of air.  :(     I had 4 pip the wrong end or the middle of the egg but all look pretty good.   4 chicks in the brooder, 3 more fully hatched in the incubator and 2 more resting up in partial shell.  I am hoping for a Serama hatch someday with less assisting but glad the chicks are doing well. 

Out of 28 eggs it is not what I was hoping for, but they were shipped and there were 7 clears and a bunch of quitters.  I might get more eggs from the woman I got my first 7 from... those chicks are really beautiful and I got a great variety of colors. 

I still have 6 serama eggs in another bator and 2 under my broody : )

I am sort of in the same boat. We started with 18 eggs and 6 are out so far, it's day 22. I have little hope for the other 4, BUT I did originally only want 6 eggs so I am happy. But only 1 chick is lavender so I may end up getting a few more in the spring.

How long should I wait to pull the chicks out? The last one hatched about 6 hours ago, I haven't seen any action from the other eggs so far. I know some people give them like 3 extra days.....I am sitting on my hands.

Two of my eggs have moved over the past few days but only slightly and they haven't done any peeping. Any guesses how long till I see some baby chick action? They both shifted yesterday morning then one moved last night and one this morning...they are bantam eggs on day 18 or 19 or maybe 20... I stole them from a broody so I can't be sure of the exact day.

What a night!! I had 13 eggs in lockdown and it looks like I might end up with 9 chicks
fl.gif
I had 3 DIS, two never pipped internally, one ran out of air.
sad.png
I had 4 pip the wrong end or the middle of the egg but all look pretty good. 4 chicks in the brooder, 3 more fully hatched in the incubator and 2 more resting up in partial shell. I am hoping for a Serama hatch someday with less assisting but glad the chicks are doing well.

Out of 28 eggs it is not what I was hoping for, but they were shipped and there were 7 clears and a bunch of quitters. I might get more eggs from the woman I got my first 7 from... those chicks are really beautiful and I got a great variety of colors.

I still have 6 serama eggs in another bator and 2 under my broody : )

Congrats so far!! Are you going to put up pictures soon?

My chick is doing MUCH better, I gave her the yolk mixed with probiotic and vitamin powder, and she did start to perk right up, and her eyes are open now!! She's much more stable and exploring. My last remaining egg out of 18 is still in the incubator, she was chirping and banging her shell yesterday so I expected a pip (at least) this morning, but nothing. I listened to the egg and didn't hear anything. I figured I had nothing to loose so I poked a hole in the top and picked off some of the shell. She's breathing and chirping now, all she has to do is lift her head out of the membrane. I just couldn't stand the thought of her suffocating in the egg. So the rest is up to her now.... we will see....

I tell you, this has been the most high maintenance stressful hatch so far, everything that could go wrong probably did. My other hatches were way easier than this (maybe beginners luck) and those chickens are still alive at my friend's farm.

Ended up with 75 chicks from 120 eggs. Only 97 made it to lock down. It takes about 10 days to collect that many eggs so I'm not too disappointed with the hatch rate.

I set another 120 last night so they should be due the 21st.

Ethel was here!

She was in the yard this morning, she is looking tough but is still alive. She has no tail feathers to speak of left, just "bare stalks". The weather has been rough here, so I was worried about her.

She should have less than a week to go before she brings me the babies.

Ethel was here!

She was in the yard this morning, she is looking tough but is still alive. She has no tail feathers to speak of left, just "bare stalks". The weather has been rough here, so I was worried about her.

She should have less than a week to go before she brings me the babies.

Did u get any of the storms that passed through Wisconsin early this morning? I would be worried if my broody was out in that

Back
Top Bottom