September Hatch-A-Long

FOUR have hatched!!! And my neices and nephew came to see the incubator and new chicks and showed up just in time to watch the last five minutes of an egg hatching. It went from a small crack to fully hatched in five minutes while my neices, nephew, and brother and sister in law crowded around to watch it. And if that were not cool enough 7 more are pipped. Only three more eggs need to pip for all of them to be started hatching!

Awesome timing!!
jumpy.gif

Congrats to all the :jumpy!

Day 10, 17 viable, 13 clears and 2 questionable which I believe are more likely to not be viable. Of the clears, many had detached air cells from shipping, only 1 of the viables has a detached air cell.

Here are some pics of my homemade incubator...

Congrats to all the :jumpy!

Day 10, 17 viable, 13 clears and 2 questionable which I believe are more likely to not be viable. Of the clears, many had detached air cells from shipping, only 1 of the viables has a detached air cell.

Here are some pics of my homemade incubator...

Nice incubator setup!

Nine hatched! Three more pipped and three not doing anything yet.

I'm excited! (My favorite part is the pictures) LOL

Twelve are hatched. A thirteenth chick had to be helped out because he was too big for his egg and the eggs were like a month old before the hen started brooding them.
She started with 18 eggs bit when I candled them at 5 and 7 days there were three that were clear or very early blood ring. I left them in for an extra week to be sure then took them out and was left with 15 eggs.
The eggs were about a month old and just left outside in the nest and not touched until I took them after the hen went broody.
Out of those 15 there were 3 that just wouldn't pip and a few that pipped but couldn't zip because the eggs were so hard so I helped them zip and let them hatch the rest of the way themselves.
The three that didnt pip I candled and saw no movement in two but could hear one trying to pip so I opened them up.
One was dead. It might have died yesterday I didnt open the inner membrane because it was obviously dead.
The next had a perfectly formed chick with just a small bit of yolk unabsorbed but it's shell was rock hard and so I think it suffocated trying to get out. The inner membrane was bunched up and had no blood left in it. I wish I had given it an air whole last night.
The last one was still alive but had no airwhole/pip yet and when I started trying to open it I realized it filled the ENTIRE egg to the point it couldn't move to pip. It took forever to find a place I could safely make a whole to start helping it because it filled the whole egg.
All in all I can not believe that my first time on 10 years trying to hatch eggs on an incubator I got 13 live chicks out of 18 month old eggs that a three pound, half naked broody tried to hatch! If I had helped the one last night I would have gotten 14 maybe 15 since I don't know when the one died.

Back
Top Bottom