September Hatch-A-Long

I kinda like this idea. How much do you interevene into there lives? Are they 100% free range? Mine free range for between 4-12 hrs/day and ive concidered turning about 20 loose into the yard and let them figure it out. Maybe a deer feeder or 2 with feed in it.
I don't really intervene to much! All I do is feed them 2 times a day and make sure they have water! Yes they are 100% free range and they can decide where they want to roost (not in the garage or house)!
The only time I intervene a lot is with the broodies! When I have a broody that has got eggs hatching I put her in a box with her eggs and then bring her into the house! Its just for safety reasons!

I got a lot of blacks, greys, and a couple chipmunk marked chicks.

Six baby's this morning.

love.gif
clap.gif
love.gif

Im curious of yalls intentions. Are you hatching for personal or to sell? The market for chicks around here basicly stops in early/mid october and doesnt pick up until feb/march.

Personal, selling and Educational! This current batch is already sold. I will be hatching another batch in a class room with preschoolers after this hatch. The chicks from that hatch I will raise and eat the roosters.

@lauraschicks If you have veins I would expect development to be coming along normally... I think they are kind of long and skinny at some point and could be in any number of positions but definitely around the yolk. Here is a photo of one of my duck eggs... can't remember what day it was on though.
darkbluespace, I'm still trying to figure it out. I'm pretty sure that I have at least 3 that are moving. If I can get 2 ducks and a drake I'll be happy. Same with the guineas- a couple of pairs would be great. @earlyredrooster Thanks for the help and sympathy. Luckily I incubated extra since my hatch rates are so low. I hope to have a Brinsea next spring or at least some broody hens for my next attempts although I'm still expecting a delayed Braekel eggs shipment this summer/fall. Wish me luck, my 2 remaining hens eggs just went into lockdown. I'm crossing my fingers that either will hatch.

darkbluespace,

I'm still trying to figure it out. I'm pretty sure that I have at least 3 that are moving. If I can get 2 ducks and a drake I'll be happy. Same with the guineas- a couple of pairs would be great.

@earlyredrooster

Thanks for the help and sympathy. Luckily I incubated extra since my hatch rates are so low. I hope to have a Brinsea next spring or at least some broody hens for my next attempts although I'm still expecting a delayed Braekel eggs shipment this summer/fall.

Wish me luck, my 2 remaining hens eggs just went into lockdown. I'm crossing my fingers that either will hatch.

Best of luck to you.

You all have so many cute babies!!

I was up at sunrise checking for Ethel and her babies...No Ethel,,,no babies.......Should be today or tomorrow....

Anyone know how old the chicks have to be before she brings them into the yard?

Did a day 10 candle and saw what appeared to be a foot up against the side of the egg. It would move away a lot then reappear. Not sure if that is completely possible, but figured it might as their feet should be formed by 10/11 days

Back
Top Bottom