September Hatch-A-Long

My next update: 5 out and 1 pip, 1 rocking...lol I had to help a couple but they seem to be doing ok. Now waiting for the other 8 to pip and the hatched chicks to fluff. The 1 that came out so quick around 3 a.m. is fluffed and think it wonders what all the racket is..lol 3 blues and 2 blr are out...hard to tell color just yet. I will post pics maybe later this evening or tomorrow! I don't like to take them out to soon. Trying to see if this last one pipped is going to do anything or if I have messed it up getting in the bator. Will update again soon!!
yippiechickie.gif

Ugh... I'm such an idiot! I set my eggs on Saturday and on Sunday afternoon I realized I forgot to plug in the egg turner! I hope they are ok.... This is just a bad luck deal....
hit.gif

Glad to hear everyone is doing ok..

Hope the pips all turn into chicks...

I am worried here, it is cold, 50f. and raining hard, and this was the day I thought Ethel would bring me the babies.. I hope she stays hidden in the woods and keeps the babies warm until tomorrow!!

My nerves cannot handle this broody bird, hidden nest stuff!!! Next year I steal all her eggs and find all her nests and incubate them,,,,,(well, maybe not)

my nerves can't handle it either! I keep checking back to see you chicks!
fl.gif

Ugh... I'm such an idiot! I set my eggs on Saturday and on Sunday afternoon I realized I forgot to plug in the egg turner! I hope they are ok.... This is just a bad luck deal....
hit.gif
That won't be a problem. The embryo wouldn't be developed enough for it to get stuck in any position. When you candle the eggs in a couple of days you will see that when you rotate the egg, the cluster of blood vessels (where the chick is developing) will move as you rotate the egg.

I have used my homemade incubator many times over the past 14 years and this is the first time I have used an egg turner. In my last few hatches there were several times (at least twice a week) that I wasn't home to turn the eggs for 15 hours straight. I know that isn't ideal but... it was the best I could do. It is such a relief to have an egg turner now, (It arrived the day after I set the eggs, so my eggs did go for 15 hours the first day w/o being turned.) Now I can stop at the store on the way home from work w/o worrying about the eggs needing to be turned.

I set my eggs on Sunday, So we can hatch ours together! :)

Two chicks have hatched so far! Another pip hole coming in!! I only have a picture of the one because we were told to leave the chicks In the incubator for a little while (?)
The Silkie chick is worrying me, it keeps flopping about in the incubator and I am not sure what to do for it.
Here's our Dark Brahma banter chick though!

Missing the egg turner for a day shouldn't change much as hens don't even sit on the eggs for up to two weeks until they start brooding.

Last edited:
Two chicks have hatched so far! Another pip hole coming in!! I only have a picture of the one because we were told to leave the chicks In the incubator for a little while (?)
The Silkie chick is worrying me, it keeps flopping about in the incubator and I am not sure what to do for it.
Here's our Dark Brahma banter chick though!
I had a really floppy chick who took some time to get her legs under her too. It's almost three weeks later now and she is just as robust as all the others. Just give her time. By the time she is fluffed out, she will probably be moving around better too.

Mother hens talk to their pipped eggs too so why shouldn't we? There anecdotal evidence that it actually proves your hatch more successful if you encourage the chicks to meet you.

I caught him talking baby talk to the chick last night lol he's coming around he's just trying to hide it! He already got defensive when his friend said he wanted to eat the guineas... Those are his favorite bird!

Back
Top Bottom