September Hatch-A-Long

I could be wrong but my understanding of it was they have to mark them as fertile because they could be fertile due to the rooster having access to the hens. That however does not guarantee that they are fertilized eggs.

We have heard some peeps! And we have an egg rocking!

Super excited, especially after our scare this morning (see incubator temp drop thread I started)... this gives us hope that not all is lost!

fl.gif

Yes, TJ's are fertile eggs from Trader Joe's. And, yes, I have had a batch where not one was fertile.
somad.gif

Many stores carry fertile eggs, but sometimes you have to ask. WinCo does, Whole Foods does, Trader Joe's does. Somebody said they found some at Costco, but I've never seen it and don't quite believe it. A lot of folks are hatching the Rock Island brand. And, while you're asking, it never hurts to ask if there's anything fresher in the back! I did that with this last trip to TJ's and they found eggs for me that were just 3 days post-packing date....That's even fresher than shipped eggs! And I will say the air cells are a lot nicer looking in the store-bought eggs than in the USPS abused ones.

A problem that I'm encountering in my hatch now-a-days is I'm at a higher altitude than before. Now I'm at 5000 feet whereas before I was at 2200.... Or the Nevada TJ's carries better eggs than the ABQ one. I dunno....
hu.gif

Ok, so the one that piped this morning is starting to make a bigger hole and lots of chirping!!! yay!!!! but around 8 pm I noticed another egg had piped but at the wrong end!! it made a good size hole and i have read enough to know to leave it for atleast 12 - 24 hours..... im really nervous, never have had to deal with this with chicken eggs!!

Welkommen,
I'm sorry for your losses. Hope all goes well with your repopulation. Hang in there and soon you will again experience the joys and jobs of fluffy butts care. ;)

I'm in too!
I bought 10 eggs from a lady on Ebay, I asked her what breed they were (so that if I need to sell any I'm not keeping, I know what to advertise them as)
Her reply was,

'I HAVE OVER 300 CHICKENS of which I have 30 DIFFERENT BREEDS AND THEY VARY IN LARGE FOWL, BANTAM and all the colours, as well as 30 DIFFERENT COLOURS OF PEKIN'

I'M SO EXCITED! All the eggs are different colours, shapes and sizes and I have one blue egg.
They're in my incubator now and due on the 24th!

All my hens were killed recently whilst I was away, and my housemates forgot to shut the coop door.
They were all my babies and so so tame and affectionate. I didn't think I'd have the energy to do it all again, turns out I do, and thinking about it, it didn't take me long to convince myself :)

Good luck guys!

Back
Top Bottom