September Hatch-A-Long

I need some help guys! I'm a day away from lockdown, candled the eggs yesterday some don't seem to be as far along as a few others! Will they make it to hatch maybe couple days later or will they quit on me?

If you have a still air incubator, position the "late lookin'" eggs closest to the element. Your eggs that look late probably didn't have as much heat as the others.

Yes, they may hatch late (figure to keep them in the bator longer, probably through Day 25); or they may quit. Only time will tell.... That and good candling.

Awesome....would love to see pictures
I will try but my camera...EHHH its broken.
hit.gif

Ok I will do that thank you so much..this is my first hatch its been truly a learning experience! They are all very active just a bit behind!

it's day 14 for all of my eggs from my flock that I set and all are still moving and developing perfectly.
Day 4 for my shipped silkie eggs. 3 are defiantly developing, there are 2 I'm not sure about. But keeping everyone in there until day 14. This is my first time dealing with shipped eggs. If an egg has a detached air sac does that mean a chick wont develop? I have 2 with detached air sacs but dont think they are developing.

Day 13 on my quail eggs. I forgot to add water when I set the eggs so I figured I'd give dry incubation a try. I haven't even opened the lid since they were set. Lockdown is Thursday.

So far only one hasn't made it. It pipped in the wrong spot and bled out. It also had a severely herniated navel area when I opened it up so it was probably for the best. :) 6 fluff butts out so far. I put them in the brooder because they were helping pull away the shell off one egg... Trouble makers already!

it's day 14 for all of my eggs from my flock that I set and all are still moving and developing perfectly.
Day 4 for my shipped silkie eggs. 3 are defiantly developing, there are 2 I'm not sure about. But keeping everyone in there until day 14. This is my first time dealing with shipped eggs. If an egg has a detached air sac does that mean a chick wont develop? I have 2 with detached air sacs but dont think they are developing.
Careful, the egg that I had explode on day 16 was a detached air cell egg from shipping that gradually got darker and darker below the air cell line on candling so I thought it was developing like the others but I never saw motion in it. Also, the egg never weeped or smelled "off". I have a strong sense of smell and thought I would have noticed before hand but the shell was thick and never smelled bad. Before the explosion I chaulked the lack of visual motion to the detached air cell and was going to remove the egg that night, but the explosion occurred first...
sickbyc.gif

I think if you see normal development AND motion, then you should be good to go. If you have plenty of others developing, might be worth sacrificing the egg if you see no motion in order to avoid all the nastiness that comes with an exploded egg. I was torn to get rid of the egg earlier do to my inexperience and hope for a viable chick within...wish I would have been more decisive sooner. What a learning experience this has been!
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom