What color should easter egger chicks legs be?

what do you call an EE who comes from two EEs or two Ameraucanas or one of each and does not get the blue egg gene from either parent? That's what you get with many of the hatchery EEs, who look the part but who end up laying brown eggs. They obviously did not inherit the blue egg gene so what do you call them? For lack of a better term, they are still EEs, IMO. If you call them a barnyard mix, well, to me that's what an EE is anyway.

I have a hen who came from a BBS Ameraucana flock, not hatchery stock, but breeder Ameraucanas, who has has a pea comb and slate legs, but who lays a brown egg. By her type, her spurs, her lack of beard, everything, she has some Sumatra in her lineage from generations back. Both parents were Ameraucanas, not EEs, but what the heck do I call this mutant hen? I would call her an EE, but some have issue with that. I can't call her Ameraucana, though that is what she is, genetically. She's apparently in a class by herself. She should have the blue egg gene from at least one parent, but she doesn't. Bizarre what genes can do, isn't it?
Based on the Ameraucana Breeders Club definition, the answer to your questions is simple. The EE who comes from two Ameraucanas or one of each and does not get the blue egg gene from either parent is not an EE. It is just a barnyard mix. And likewise, your hen who came from a BBS Ameraucana flock and who has a peacomb and slate legs, but who lays a brown egg is not an EE either. The problem with the ABC definition is that it becomes impossible to determine visually whether or not a bird is an EE. There is simply no way to tell by looking whether or not a bird has the blue egg gene. The problem becomes even worse when dealing with a rooster as he will never lay, so there will never be anyway to determine visually whether or not he carries the blue egg gene. I suppose a set of EE standards could be established requiring EEs to have pea combs, beards, muffs, greenish legs, etc., but of course in doing that you are, in effect, establishing EEs as a breed, which of course is ridiculous as they will never breed true as long as they continue to lay eggs in various colors (it requires hybridization to bring this about). The other and better solution would be to completely throw out the EE label, even where the blue egg gene is concerned, and simply label them as barnyard mixes that happen to lay colored eggs. This would probably be the best approach, but the reality is (especially as hatcheries continue to propagate the EE label) that this is never likely to happen and generations from now, chicken breeders will still be debating what makes an EE an EE. I guess the upside to all of this is that it makes for some interesting post discussions. :eek:)

Quote: EXACTLY! And that is what EEs are anyway. The truth is that my hen who came from two BBS Ameraucanas is not a barnyard mix-she isn't a mix at all. She is an Ameraucana, albeit a defective one, no more defective than an Ameraucana that missed getting a beard but is fine in all other respects. An Ameraucana with a defect is just a defective Ameraucana, but an Easter Egger is always a crossbreed. Ack, the craziness of it all with this subject!
barnie.gif

EXACTLY! And that is what EEs are anyway. The truth is that my hen who came from two BBS Ameraucanas is not a barnyard mix-she isn't a mix at all. She is an Ameraucana, albeit a defective one, no more defective than an Ameraucana that missed getting a beard but is fine in all other respects. An Ameraucana with a defect is just a defective Ameraucana, but an Easter Egger is always a crossbreed. Ack, the craziness of it all with this subject!
barnie.gif

LOL! It is crazy, isn't it.

Most are not even technically hybrids, which is a cross of only two breeds. Most are crosses of crosses. And what do you call an EE who comes from two EEs or two Ameraucanas or one of each and does not get the blue egg gene from either parent? That's what you get with many of the hatchery EEs, who look the part but who end up laying brown eggs. They obviously did not inherit the blue egg gene so what do you call them? For lack of a better term, they are still EEs, IMO. If you call them a barnyard mix, well, to me that's what an EE is anyway. The ones I made with my true Ameraucanas and brown egg breed roosters were hybrids, certainly, only two breeds included, like sex links.

I have a hen who came from a BBS Ameraucana flock, not hatchery stock, but breeder Ameraucanas, who has has a pea comb and slate legs, but who lays a brown egg. By her type, her spurs, her lack of beard, everything, she has some Sumatra in her lineage from generations back. Both parents were Ameraucanas, not EEs, but what the heck do I call this mutant hen? I would call her an EE, but some have issue with that. I can't call her Ameraucana, though that is what she is, genetically. She's apparently in a class by herself. She should have the blue egg gene from at least one parent, but she doesn't. Bizarre what genes can do, isn't it?
A pea combed EE that does not lay coloured eggs (with parents that most definitely carried the blue egg gene) is not common. Something like 5% of pea combed EEs will lay brown/cream eggs. Whereas only 5% of single combed EEs will lay a coloured egg. The gene is so closely linked to what makes them have a pea comb, that it is very uncommon to see a green or blue egg layer with a single comb. Cream Legbars are the only single combed chicken that lay a coloured egg.

I sell the single combed ones as mutts because when you sell them as EEs, people expect a green or blue egg and I feel it is misleading. Just my opinion.

Easter Eggs are colourful, not plain. Therefore an Easter Egger's eggs should be colourful. :)

Quote: I know, I know, which is why I was shocked when Tiny's egg was brown. Did not expect it at all. The egg she hatched from was a lovely blue color. Her parents looked like nice BBS Ameraucanas, blue rooster and not sure which color her mother was, whether black or blue. She has a pea comb, no beard, spurs, more-Sumatra-than-Ameraucana body type (not a gypsy face, though) and lays a brown egg.

Last edited:
A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet. I have 5 EEs (had 6 but lost the most beautiful EE I've ever seen, my Pearly-girl) and I get blue eggs from all of them, except Scout, who is too young to lay. Pearl laid blue eggs as well when she was with us, and who knows what color Scout will lay? I am no breeder, nor do I feel that's important to me. I'll leave that to smarter folks than I am. I just have the chickens because I like them, like the eggs, and they make my grandkids happy. I do love my EEs, or whatever folks might want to call them, regardless of their parentage so I'll just sit back and enjoy my yard full of roses.
wink.png

A pea combed EE that does not lay coloured eggs (with parents that most definitely carried the blue egg gene) is not common. Something like 5% of pea combed EEs will lay brown/cream eggs. Whereas only 5% of single combed EEs will lay a coloured egg. The gene is so closely linked to what makes them have a pea comb, that it is very uncommon to see a green or blue egg layer with a single comb. Cream Legbars are the only single combed chicken that lay a coloured egg.

I sell the single combed ones as mutts because when you sell them as EEs, people expect a green or blue egg and I feel it is misleading. Just my opinion.

Easter Eggs are colourful, not plain. Therefore an Easter Egger's eggs should be colourful. :)
I know this is an old post so I'm hoping it will be seen. Any idea if a Cream Legbar cross is more likely to produce Easter Eggers with a single comb, or pretty much a crap shoot? TIA

I know this is an old post so I'm hoping it will be seen. Any idea if a Cream Legbar cross is more likely to produce Easter Eggers with a single comb, or pretty much a crap shoot? TIA

If crossed with another single comb breed, then the offspring will all be single combed EE's...

Back
Top Bottom