Whole flock dead!

Aww, man... I'm sorry I don't live closer, I do not have a cockerel, but I would have bought some eggs for you
smile.png
the eggs wouldn't survive the post office from here to virginia.

Oh gosh, I am so sorry to hear about this. I had one of my hens killed by a hawk last week and THAT was upsetting. I can't imagine losing that many at once.
sad.png

I also wanted to add this; it may sound gross, but I have cats and I had read that used cat litter deters coon, groundhogs( I don't think they would eat chicks) skunks, opossoms. I bag up my litter and put it around the coop as a baracade in the back where I thought I might have problems. I also used it around an old shed that I knew had groundhogs, for two years I have not had any problems with those critters. And you CANNOT smell the litter at all, but they can. I alsoposted our large dog outside on a leash during the day, it seems her smell deters them as well. Good luck!!!!

Be careful if you decide to tie a dog out. A pack of coyotes will kill a dog, even a doberman.

Quote:
Do you guys have mountain lions there? A coyote can take down a small cow or goat but I can't see one killing a bigger animal like that and then a bunch of chickens too all in a matter of a short time. Unless it was a pack of them!! I would get two shotguns and lots of ammo. Your either dealing with a really big predator or lots of predators!! Sure hope you figure it out for the sake of your animals and your sanity!!

ep.gif

Quote:
Just curious, but have y'all had any mountain lion sighting in your area? We were getting sightings in my area for about 2 weeks before I saw one. I had gone back later than usual to shut the girls in, closed the, looked left and there it was- right outside my coop
hide.gif
scared me half to death! He took off in one direction and I in the other. It looked young, it was fairly small. I haven't seen it since and I hope to keep it that way. But its a thought, especially since whatever it is is killing calves now.

No idea on the mountain lion...
Dobie isn't tied up and during the day they aren't hunting, no? Dogs aren't out while I'm not home.
Will be buying a gun tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom