Water heater thermostat
Plug with about 2-3 ft wire
40-watt light bulb
12 Volt transformer
2-3 feet of PVC pipe
2 pipe couplings
2, Â½ inch plastic clamps
A couple sponges
Tubing that fits on top of bottle
2 old pill bottles
A Sharpie pen
1. Cut square in lid for viewing window 2.use caulking around cut out area to seal glass viewing window
3. Install glass
4. Locate and drill 6 hole in cooler 1 hole for auto water (no need to open lid)
2 vent holes 1 small hole for wires
2 hole across from each other for
exterior operated egg turner
5. Place pan with sponges in bottom of cooler
(we used caulking to hold pan in place)
6. Cut and bend wire to fit into the bottom of cooler over pan 7. Cut hole in wire for auto water tube
8. place wire into cooler 9. put tubing w/ water bottle attached through hole in cooler,
then through hole in wire into pan for auto water
10. Cut out bottom of wooden box that fits in cooler 11. cut piece of wire and staple to bottom of box
12. attach Â½ inch plastic clamps to bottom of box
13. set box on wire with plastic pipe clamps lined up with the predrilled holes15. Cut pipe to Â¾ inch on both sides of cooler for handles for externally turning the eggs.
14.slide pipe through one side of cooler then threw both pipe clamps, then threw the hole on other side of cooler
16. Install couplings on each end of pipe to keep pipe from slipping, back and forth and to use as handles when turning eggs.
17. Screw box to handle inside
18. take an egg carton that fits in box and cut holes in bottom
19. place egg carton in box
20. cut spacers in tubing (or use nuts for spacers) to keep PC fan and thermostat away from wall
21. Screw PC fan to wall
22. Wire PC fan, light, and thermostat
*from the plug take the neutral (ribbed) wire to #1 screw on the thermostat
* run a short wire from #2 screw on thermostat to the silver screw on the light
* The other plug wire goes to the gold screw on the light.
*cut the end of a 12volt transformer off, wire to the black and red wire on PC fan, disregard the yellow wire.
(if you plug it in and the fan doesn't turn then switch the wires around)
23. Install thermostat using spacers and screws to wall
24. Install light
25. Cut the bottom off 2 pill bottles (with lids) and slide into holes for air vents
(these work great so you can just unscrew the lids if you need to).
a grinder was used to cut the bottoms of the pill bottles off
26. place probe from thermometer/hydrometer inside wiggler toy
27. sit wiggler toy on egg holder
28. put 2nd thermometer on wire
29. fill pan with water
30. adjust thermostat
31. fill 4-5 baby food jars with warm water put on lids and place on wire
32. plug in, close lid
now lets see what happens next........
So far in the Gopher-Bator we have hatched (and they have lived) 9 chicks... (there where some duds in this first batch)
we have 11 in it now and hope this will be our best hatch ever!!!