Study of feeding DE (diatomaceous earth) very positive!

CarolynF

Crowing
11 Years
May 11, 2011
Puget Sound
My Coop
My Coop
At this year's meeting of the Poultry Science Association link a paper was presented entitled
Effect of diatomaceous earth on parasite load, egg production, and egg quality of free-range organic laying hens link

The abstract states...
The effectiveness of diatomaceous earth (DE) as a treatment against parasites and to increase feed efficiency and egg production of organically raised free-range layer hens was evaluated in 2 breeds of commercial egg layers [Bovan Brown (BB) and Lowmann Brown (LB)] that differ in their resistance to internal parasitic infections. Half the hens of each breed were fed diets supplemented with DE (2%). Their internal parasite loads were assessed by biweekly fecal egg counts (FEC) and by postmortem examination of the gastrointestinal tract. Supplementing DE in diets of LB hens, the more parasite-resistant breed, did not significantly affect their FEC and adult parasite load. However, BB hens treated with dietary DE had significantly lower Capillaria FEC, slightly lower Eimeria FEC, fewer birds infected with Heterakis, and significantly lower Heterakis worm burden than control BB hens. Both BB and LB hens fed the diet containing DE were significantly heavier, laid more eggs, and consumed more feed than hens fed the control diet, but feed efficiency did not differ between the 2 dietary treatments. Additionally, BB hens consuming the DE diet laid larger eggs containing more albumen and yolk than hens consuming the control diet. In a subsequent experiment, the effectiveness of DE to treat a Northern fowl mite (Ornithonyssus sylviarum) infestation was tested. Relative to controls, both breeds of hens that were dusted with DE had reduced number of mites. The results of this study indicate the DE has the potential to be an effective treatment to help control parasites and improve production of organically raised, free-range layer hens.

We now have documentation that feeding 2% DE treats internal parasites, external parasites (mites), improves health, increases production, produces larger eggs containing more albumen and yolk.

I hope this helps those with questions. As a side note, the 2% is by weight, e.g., for 100 pounds of feed add 2 pounds of DE.​

Thanks for the info, Carolyn! I use DE in my coop, but have never dusted my girls...going to have to do that. Have been interested in this debate for awhile now - glad to have this info.
frow.gif

2 pounds of DE is...what 2-3 cups? I find it hard to imagine that amount of grit, dirt, dust whatever you want to classifiy it as, can do anything internally for an animal.
Any research is good and kudos to the publisher.
I'm getting my popcorn to follow this.
Please post a link to the paper. I could not find it at the link you had, thanks.

Last edited:
Well that like what 1 study that says DE works on internal parasites and how many other tests proved that DE does not work on internal parasites, a lot more than one?

As a side note, the 2% is by weight, e.g., for 100 pounds of feed add 2 pounds of DE.

I would think that it would be 2lbs of DE to 98lbs of feed.

Chris​

Thanks for the post. I've been debating for a while whether or not to get any DE. I think once I have some money I will invest in some.

I use DE for my hens and for my poodles. I dont have worms, never have. I use it everywhere. In food they eat, around the ground where the food is in the bowls. Around the cat food bowl outside, keeps the ants out of the cat food. I use it around the house foundation, I use in the chick pen to keep it dry and keep the ants out.
I have even taken it myself. I dont care what the 'other' studies say, I KNOW it works.

pam in TX

We now have documentation that feeding 2% DE treats internal parasites, external parasites (mites), improves health, increases production, produces larger eggs containing more albumen and yolk.

That's not much of a study when they don't give many details, and you are reading the results incorrectly

Those parasites listed aren't common worms, and there is NO evidence presented to show FEEDING DE has anything to do with mites.

Relative to controls, both breeds of hens that were dusted with DE had reduced number of mites.

What it really says is for half the birds it did nothing at all
Supplementing DE in diets of LB hens, the more parasite-resistant breed, did not significantly affect their FEC and adult parasite load

They try to imply the DE had something to do with larger eggs, but notice those birds ate MORE FEED

Both BB and LB hens fed the diet containing DE were significantly heavier, laid more eggs, and consumed more feed

An unbiased study would have fed both groups the same amount

Pay attention to the details, and you'll see there was a slight improvement in ONE BREED of birds.

This is hardly "proof" that feeding DE will help other birds in light of many other studies that do not verify these results, one of which you yourself posted in another thread, and it's by the SAME authors:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=544490&p=4

Here's an earlier one from 2009

Effect of diatomaceous earth on internal parasites of freerange, organic laying hens.
D. C. Bennett*, Y.-J. Rhee, A. Yee, and K.M. Cheng, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
The abstract is presented on page 81 of the 98th Annual Meeting of the Poultry Science Association, July 2009.
link here: http://www.poultryscience.org/psa09/abstracts.pdf

In it they state, "DE had no effect
on the number of hens infected, FEC, or worm burdens
. However, body
mass and egg production were greater in hens consuming the DE diets.
These hens also laid larger eggs with thicker shells. The results of this
study suggest that there is no evidence that DE is an effective treatment
to control gastrointestinal parasitic infections
of free-range laying hens.
However, DE as a feed ingredient may maintain body mass, increase
egg production and improve egg quality in free range laying hens fed
an organic diet."​

Last edited:
I would like to see the whole paper. Abstracts do not allow an evaluation of the data.

Clint

Quote:
An unbiased study would have fed both groups the same amount

You seem to be confusing the quantity fed with the quantity actually consumed. It's not that one group of birds was fed more or less, it's that the group ate more of what it was fed. It's common for such a factor to be noted in studies of this type, whether the subject of the study is DE, peas, beet pulp, digestive enzymes, beet pulp, etc.

Back
Top Bottom