➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Someone had posted a thread about spraying them with ACV and then combining. I tried that, and for about 20 minutes I stayed out there watching, and sniper sprayed anyone who tried to cause issues, then I went back out once an hour for reminders, but after 2 hours no one needed reminding. I combined a group of about 6 week olds with 3 and 1/2 week olds 11 and 14 birds that had never seen each other before, and have had no issues. They’ve been together over a week now with no problems. The extra boys are leaving this Saturday for a new home so I hope to maintain the peace until then.
The bitter apple spray is (considerably) more expensive, but I've only ever bought one can and never (yet) needed to spray twice.

One of my quail got loose and it ran into the creek...so I set up a live trap and food and I was hoping to catch it. I then let dog out to go to bathroom. When I called her in she had something in her mouth. Didn’t know what it was but she dropped it when I told her too. Thought it was a dead quail till it started flying around the house. After I grabbed it to check it out I could not see any damage to the bird. No blood or broken bones. I’ll check it out again tomorrow but seems like it was healthy it even tried to make another run for it when I put it back in cage. Anyone ever heard of a dog taking care to catch animals without hurting it? Glad I have such a smart boarder collie!

Oh and she got extra treats this night

One of my quail got loose and it ran into the creek...so I set up a live trap and food and I was hoping to catch it. I then let dog out to go to bathroom. When I called her in she had something in her mouth. Didn’t know what it was but she dropped it when I told her too. Thought it was a dead quail till it started flying around the house. After I grabbed it to check it out I could not see any damage to the bird. No blood or broken bones. I’ll check it out again tomorrow but seems like it was healthy it even tried to make another run for it when I put it back in cage. Anyone ever heard of a dog taking care to catch animals without hurting it? Glad I have such a smart boarder collie!

I'm pretty sure some dogs especially birds dogs can have a gentle mouth. If you're out hunting you don't want the dog ruining your birds bringing them back. Plus slightly redneck on YouTube lets his dog catch runaway quail because he said the dog doesn't kill them bringing them back.

Oh and congratulations on finding out you have a new helper lol

yes. The soft mouthed Borzoi has returned 3 quail to me after catching them on the wing. Great fun for her. Not so much for me & the quail.

Anyone ever heard of a dog taking care to catch animals without hurting it? Glad I have such a smart boarder collie!

My lab mix did :) He once 'retrieved' an OEGB hen for me. She was not amused. He also once caught a ringneck pheasant that I had rescued from an idiot keeping it in his bedroom as a house pet that had gotten loose. Noticed me after it and helped me out.

Retriever breeds have been bred to have soft mouths, so it's not so surprising that he would catch live birds without harming them.

Our Lab Golden has a very soft mouth though we've never trained him for retrieving. Gotta be instinct with him. Sounds like you've got a sweet girl there. 🥰

Yes. My own dumb dog brought me a quail once. Unharmed.

Back
Top Bottom