Wolfram awoke with a violent start.
He never actually remembered falling asleep, only stumbling blindly, shifting into cat skin and collapsing, Alec having gone with Lily. It was still night, nearing morning but the sun hadn't quite shattered the barrier above the trees. The exact time he wasn't sure, though. Only that his dreams had been plagued; haunting with unforgettable memories.
Was it possible to live a nightmare? Possible for each memory to be pieces of said nightmare?
He wasn't sure.
A cold shudder rose the hair along his spine. He wasn't sure what he was more distressed about anymore. What was making guilt and fear and anger curl in his stomach relentlessly.
That his dead mother created something powerful enough to kill an entire race?
That the person he trusted had killed his mother?
That Maple had been a mother?
A mother to his half-brothers?
That now he was a murderer to countless unnamed victims? To Maple? To his father?
That he was now an orphan, or that he had a younger orphaned brother with no immediate family other then him?
He couldn't decide what was worse. He hauled himself to his paws, a low growl bubbling in his throat. His muscles were horribly sore, screaming at even the small act of moving. He limped the length of the clearing, past Lily with Alec curled in her lap, past Camilla and Lachlan and River and Alice, past Ash and Bleddyn. Past the dusty remains of his car. Until he climbed the small slope, which suddenly seemed like a looming mountain at this point, and reached the road. He padded into the middle of the bloody tar, a oil slick against the brightening sky.
He tilted his muzzle upwards, watching the last stars in the sky, struggling violently to stay lit as the night sky fell, dying for a new dawn to break. No sirens rose in the distance. No birds chirped. No roar of cars woke him from his bed before dawn even woke. No sounds of the neighbors barking dogs or his mother's footsteps in her bedroom, awake and restless. No. It was absolutely, utterly, painfully silent. He slumped onto his haunches, lowering his head. Everything faded to a dull ache in his chest. Numb.
Despite it all, a smile tugged on the corners of his muzzle. The smallest bit, just a slight smile that would have gone unnoticed if you blinked. But it was there. No, everything wasn't okay. And it wouldn't be for along, long time. But the thought still echoed in the back of his head.
Mom wouldn't want this. She'd help us pull ourselves together and then fix everything, wouldn't she? She wouldn't want me to be sad, I don't think... no. She wouldn't want that. Would she?
In the distance, the last star fluttered away from sight with a last whisper of breath, answering his restless thoughts.
This is honestly giving me serious vibes to a drawing I started last year and gave up on.
Now I need to find it.

me @ this rp
giphy (1).gif

Back
Top Bottom