onesweetflock

Songster
6 Years
Feb 21, 2018
Northern Kentucky, USA
Hi there! This isn't something I wanted to have to ask about obviously, but this is of grave concern! My sweet little Butter is normally quite active and will come peck at my leg for some treats. I noticed that she hadn't done that tonight as I was getting ready to shut them in for the evening. (I check on them several times a day since I work from home, she was definitely fine earlier.) She looked rather strained, her face was very red, and seemed to be hunched up a bit and fluffed as if she were trying to push something out. She was extremely slow and seemed to be waddling a bit. Since I had no idea what could be wrong, I immediately began researching on my phone while pacing with her once I got back to the house. Finally.... a giant glob of yolk and clear fluid came out. Obviously at this point I was pretty panicked! I feared that an egg had broken inside her. In a few minutes, this strange membrane thing came out as well:
20180221_194619.jpg

When I squished it a bit, it had tension and it broke and what seemed to be egg white came out. (Pretty gross man, sorry for the image but I gotta be thorough lol) She seemed to perk up a bit after that! Little more vibrant, but still clearly uncomfy. From there, while following what little I could find about what to do if my chicken indeed had [XYZ] problem, I cleaned her vent with some antiseptic spray that has painkiller in it too. Then I followed up with a 20 minute soak in a sink full of epsom salt. Once she was a bit dried off, I took a glove and felt around the inside of her vent. I didn't notice any broken egg pieces, and I tried to search pretty well, but I'm worried I wasn't thorough enough. I checked all over her underside + eggbag for any signs of blockages / an egg, but didn't find any. I cleaned out her vent with a vinegar + water solution, and she seemed to get a little lackluster again after that. I had also administered a tiny bit of tetracycline to her. For further info, Butter has just turned a year old, is a medium sized Buff Orpington, has never had any soft-shelled / shell-less eggs before now, has had plenty of access to proper nutrition, and has showed literally no signs of unwellness until tonight. Her crop was full so she had been eating and drinking today, and she had been pooping until this strange egg catastrophe happened. She normally has a voracious appetite but didn't do much but meekly peck at seeds when offered them. The only normal thing she's been doing is preening to get any remaining moisture off from her bath... I'd also been worming my birds a few times because I'd noticed they would shake their heads as if itchy, but mite treatments didn't seem to work. (Another topic for another time haha...) So I'm doubtful it was due to negligence from a respitory infection, but who knows! She seemed to have a bit harder time breathing, but that could have been from the pain. Currently, Butter is resting in a pet carrier in my room, in the dark. Her wings are droopy, and she still seems uncomfortable, tail in a position to where her vent is exposed. Not upright like a penguin thankfully, but she's clearly not well. I'm hoping she'll have recovered a bit by morning, but I'm doubtful.... Does anyone have any experience with something like this, and what else is there that I can do to help her? She's honestly like a daughter to me and I need to get her back to good health. I will hopefully be able to find a vet for her ASAP if necessary, though I feel with my family being in the farm business we'd likely be able to do just as well here. I have some penicillin I haven't given her yet, and will try calcium and electrolytes tomorrow. Please help if you can!! I'll do whatever it takes.

Last edited:
Start her on the penicillin. It's a good precaution if the egg did break inside her. As @micstrachan recommends, rig a heating pad for her and place a moist bath towel on top of it. Let her rest on this moist heat, set at low.

A calcium supplement will help with the contractions and if there is an egg in the chute that she's having trouble with, this should help her form a good shell around it, making it easier to expel.

If that antiseptic spray has lidocaine, or any pain killer ending in "caine", do not use any more on her as it is toxic to chickens.

Sometimes, these egg episodes involve two eggs. It can be very uncomfortable for the hen, but once the other egg comes out, she should feel much better and return to normal very soon.

I forgot to mention, she will probably feel much better now that she seemed to get all the misshapen, shell less egg out. At least for now. If this is her first one, she is probably still in good condition. Please be prepared for the strong possibility that a laying disorder could becoming on, which is why I recommend the dark for now. She may be a candidate for a hormone implant to prevent further laying if you have the means to get that for her. I would see how she does and consult an avian vet. Good luck with your sweet Butter.

:pop Following ... Have a BO (9mos) who laid a very Odd Egg one day, then a soft egg the next day, then skipped a day. She normally lays one everyday & I was concerned. Now learning she may have more laying issues :hit down the road.

Heat. Can you offer her a heating pad? Start with that and we’ll go from there. I have been through this before. Also, as a quick calcium boost, I have given a crushed Tums mixed into a raw egg yolk. I hope it’s an isolated incident for you. I recommend keeping her in the dark to shut her laying down for a bit, as well.

She seems to be about the same as yesterday, though a lot less droopy. Her appetite is about the same, and her crop is still full which worries me. Seems a bit sleepy, though I doubt she slept well. I had her on the heat for about 15 mins and am working on getting some crushed citrical down her. Returning her to my dark room shortly. Thank you so much for your help!! ;O; I hope we can figure this out, I really owe you oneeee

A calcium supplement will help with the contractions and if there is an egg in the chute that she's having trouble with, this should help her form a good shell around it, making it easier to expel.

If that antiseptic spray has lidocaine, or any pain killer ending in "caine", do not use any more on her as it is toxic to chickens.

Sometimes, these egg episodes involve two eggs. It can be very uncomfortable for the hen, but once the other egg comes out, she should feel much better and return to normal very soon.

Thank you so much for the additional info!! ;v; It has benzocaine in it so that's very important to know. I had used it before on a chick with prolapse to help her heal up with no trouble, so I figured it was safe. I feel like you're right about there being a second egg with how she's acting today. Not much major improvement from yesterday. I'm super worried since she doesn't seem to be able to pass poop right now. I hope the calcium does its job and helps her get everything out soon...

Thank you so so much... I managed to get a good bit of crushed calcium down her, so for now I'll let her rest in the dark for a bit and then try getting some other things down her later. She's strong enough still to fight back haha... and she managed to poop! I can't believe I'm so happy to see poop for once lollll.... though it was a bit watery and had a tinge of pink to it (likely blood), but her backside has gone thru a lot recently so I'm not too overly concerned about that. Once I put her back into the carrier, she seemed to scratch a bit as if she might lay an egg. I hope if anything else is trapped in there she can get it out!

Continue the moist heat and give her another calcium tablet today. The calcium is extremely important in this type of crisis. It may mean the difference between a stuck soft shell egg and a hard shell egg that can be pushed out. The moist heat lubricates and relaxes tissues.

Then provide plenty of water to drink to keep her tissues as hydrated as possible. Smoothing some coconut oil on her vent, getting some just inside the vent, can also help with that final "push".

Back
Top Bottom