➡ Poll Time: Article section related

Would you like to see the members pages section of articles broken down into subcategories?

• Total voters
View attachment 1921594 :thumbsup

There are TONS of articles in member pages written as questions that should be in the forums. I know Sumi usually suggests in the comments that the author start a new thread, but all those useless articles still remain there forever. Those definitely need to be rounded up into a separate category...
but with over 9k to go through :th

Please could I ask that any articles that should be threads please be reported. They can then be deleted and removed. Unfortunately many members ask questions in the learning Center section but once they have been pointed in the right direction for threads I do move them to member pages to try and keep the learning Center section a little tidier. To give the members a chance to see the comments and link to the appropriate forum section they don’t always get deleted. I do go through removing some of them but some do get through the net.

Thank you :)

Wow, such a brilliant discussion. Y'all are so AWESOME!!

@Nifty-Chicken, can you export all of the members section articles to a spreadsheet? :pop:fl
Yup, once we get closer to an actual project, I can do this in all sorts of helpful ways :D

I love the idea of a template and adding relevant links, but maybe there should be 2 types of article templates because not everyone has that much research involved in their article (or non-article), and links wouldn't be required if it's just a story about their chicken...
I always assumed member pages didn't have to be "quality learning center material.
Right! The template to which I was referring wast ONLY for the Learning Center, where we will always have a higher standard / requirement.

What about a section devoid of the ratings/reviews option?
I think it's sad when someone's amateur attempt at sharing is rated poorly, maybe they get discouraged and leave BYC. I know I've written a couple articles in MP not expecting to get reviews (for my own personal reference) but one got moved to the learning center and the other doesn't even really fit "article standards" and certainly isn't worthy of getting rated.
Yeah, that's definitely a concern of mine. I don't want peeps to feel chastised or discouraged from making articles for fun.

Whatever new system you come up with, it would be nice if they were regulated to make sure they're actually posted in the relevant section.
This is a constant struggle. We want to make it easy for peeps to submit stuff in ways that isn't full of confusion and hoops, but we also want to keep things as orderly as possible.

Seems like member pages were originally meant for people to make a personal page about themselves, maybe like an intro thread, but it can be updated regularly. Nobody seems to do that anymore.
Yes, that's very true! The "member pages" have always been a catch-all for peeps to express themselves, hobbies, fun, stories, etc. as "articles". We've wanted it to be "open ended" and not terribly picky about what people post. That said, we do want some level of requirement for posting an article and for it to remain in that section vs. just being part of a forum thread / discussion.

We've got some really interesting challenges here, but also some great opportunities too! Keep the ideas coming!!!

:thumbsup

This is a constant struggle. We want to make it easy for peeps to submit stuff in ways that isn't full of confusion and hoops, but we also want to keep things as orderly as possible.
I know :oops: I'm sure we all imagine things are way easier to fix than they actually are. And you can't please everyone!

The template to which I was referring wast ONLY for the Learning Center, where we will always have a higher standard / requirement.
This must be the part you plan to change, but right now, when you click on "create article" I wish this black box wasn't the first thing that gets displayed:
article-category.png

But this particular page showed up once, I'm not sure how and I wasn't able to find it again, but it was a full page, not a tiny black box:
article.png

So... I'm wondering if something like that page (instead of the black box) could be what showed up after clicking "create article" except modified as the disclosure page... where you read the rules in each section first, click one of the links, then choose the category on the following page:
article-links.png

maybe that could help folks stay on track and have a lot less Mods moving stuff around. :idunno

So... I'm wondering if something like that page (instead of the black box) could be what showed up after clicking "create article" except modified as the disclosure page... where you read the rules in each section first, click one of the links, then choose the category on the following page:
View attachment 1922357

maybe that could help folks stay on track and have a lot less Mods moving stuff around. :idunno

I like that example page you drafted @feathermaid. Something along those lines might be helpful, especially to newer members that don't know the difference between an article and a forum post.

I saw that from my other account, but I don't think it's obvious or in your face enough.
How do you think it should be changed? The username of the member viewing the notice can be inserted into the notice, so it could have their username at the beginning to get their attention.

How do you think it should be changed? The username of the member viewing the notice can be inserted into the notice, so it could have their username at the beginning to get their attention.
I don't know, maybe make it bigger, or change the colors?
creat article box_1.png
creat article box_2.png

Back
Top Bottom