➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

I have to get updated pics/video of the bunnies this weekend! all 6 thriving and fat as little butterballs! one was born with a deformed ear. @Sara L have you had one like that before? Rasputin is the alpha baby.....most developed. he actually gets all the way at the back of the box and won’t try to bite but lunges at us when we try to pet him. we put him in with momma and he jumped back into box and over the divider.
Pics of the ear? I haven't had any deformities yet, but I haven't had a ton of litters. Is it possible that the mom was a little too vigorous when she was cleaning them after birth?

Whe
It'll be a first. :caf
Around here, hatch rates just plain suck until it gets warmer. I'm not the only one that's noted this.
Where’s “here”? My half-cooked batch of chicken eggs looks pretty good, but they’re homegrown. I wouldn’t buy shipped eggs this time of year though... not where I live.

Whe

Where’s “here”? My half-cooked batch of chicken eggs looks pretty good, but they’re homegrown. I wouldn’t buy shipped eggs this time of year though... not where I live.
She is Santa.
Santa lives at the North Pole. ;)

Whe

I only buy shipped eggs this time of year because I'm insane and need babies despite my birds not laying yet.

I haven't seen or heard someone use the word wicked in a while! Reminds me of home
I admit to stealing it and using it in my day-to-day speech after hearing it used on BYC. It's quite a useful piece of language that stands in well for similar but less family-friendly intensifiers. :lol:

I only buy shipped eggs this time of year because I'm insane and need babies despite my birds not laying yet.
Lights? My 35+- chicken hens are giving me on average 5 eggs a day. I’m not doing lights, though. That’s plenty of eggs for me. I read the other day that it works better to increase the hours of light a little at a time... the article said mostly in the morning, but it seems to me morning and evening would be more in accord with nature. Mine are in a greenhouse for the winter, so they get what the sun gives them—I don’t have to get out there and open windows or anything or they prolly wouldn’t be giving me more than 2-3. Seems to me quail are a bit more challenging eggwise, though, from all I’ve read here.

Lights? My 35+- chicken hens are giving me on average 5 eggs a day. I’m not doing lights, though. That’s plenty of eggs for me. I read the other day that it works better to increase the hours of light a little at a time... the article said mostly in the morning, but it seems to me morning and evening would be more in accord with nature. Mine are in a greenhouse for the winter, so they get what the sun gives them—I don’t have to get out there and open windows or anything or they prolly wouldn’t be giving me more than 2-3. Seems to me quail are a bit more challenging, eggwise though, from all I’ve read here.
My white rocks are cranking them out, but I never even wanted them in the first place so there's no way I'm hatching more. The Buff Chanteclers and the OEGBs are the birds that are holding out.

I do have a lighting system installed but something went screwy with the timer. I need to go try and reprogram it. Also, my Buffs all live in the chicken village behind the coop, not inside it.

The quail haven't given me eggs in months. They're getting a bit old, I assume.

Back
Top Bottom