➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Is it 100% definite that they’ll lay celadon eggs?

I have a celadon layer and I put her eggs in the bator. I want to have more celadon layers in the future so hopefully I can get males and females so I can accomplish this.
No. I'm not deciding on which hens to keep until I know they lay blue eggs. The rest I'll sell as celadon carriers, but not actually as celadon.

Okay that’s what I figured. I’m going to try a celadon pen and see what happens.

Still haven’t made my cages or pens😂 I’m going to get my dads circular saw because it’s newer and easier to use.

To get Celadon layers is a long and complicated way. Especially with only one hen.

With a confirmed Ce male it is already much breed, hatch, grow, inbreed a F2 generation, hatch, grow and try & error.

With only one hen it is even more, as you have to test breed to confirm males.

This is why I started the hatching project with the breeder friend, with a confirmed Ce breeding group.

To get Celadon layers is a long and complicated way. Especially with only one hen.

With a confirmed Ce male it is already much breed, hatch, grow, inbreed a F2 generation, hatch, grow and try & error.

With only one hen it is even more, as you have to test breed to confirm males.

This is why I started the hatching project with the breeder friend, with a confirmed Ce breeding group.
I have more than one celadon layer. Just one lays consistently. The others are just starting. Most are from from a local breeder and one is from Myshire. NONE came from celadon eggs, but they’re now laying celadon. They’ll still carry the gene for celadon.

I plan on having celadon in a few years once I figure out who is laying what. That’s why I’m getting the cages done so I can separate the quail into groups.

Your F1 generation will be to 99.9% only carrier.
Then I breed them and see what their offspring will be. That’s why it’ll be a few years before I can say I have celadon. This was an accident honestly, I wasn’t expecting to have celadon layers. It just happened. Maybe because I need a project 😂 Challenge Accepted

I have more than one celadon layer. Just one lays consistently. The others are just starting. Most are from from a local breeder and one is from Myshire. NONE came from celadon eggs, but they’re now laying celadon. They’ll still carry the gene for celadon.

I plan on having celadon in a few years once I figure out who is laying what. That’s why I’m getting the cages done so I can separate the quail into groups.
If you have a celadon hen, she will lay celadon eggs regularly. If one isn't regularly laying blue eggs, then it's possible that she's just missing the paint job at the end now and then. She might be a celadon carrier, but isn't celadon herself.

Then you are lucky and you may have already some carrier, beside the already pure blue layers 😃👍

Has anyone tried the water cups with their quail?

I just bought some and I have a few buckets so I was going to make one for the quail to see how they like it.
The orange cups with the yellow flow valves did not work. I'd fill the cups up, they'd drain them dry and go thirsty. The yellow valves were too hard to actuate. The chickens use them, but they leave drops in the bottom of the cups. If chickens have issues, I understand why the quail didn't use them.

The weight filling ones are working MUCH better. I've got them saved on the other computer. Mine are white, but I've seen a different style and color.

Have attempted the vertical nipples. For the chickens, they drip and leak and I'm sure would make a mess with the quail. I do recommend the weighted water cups.

The orange cups with the yellow flow valves did not work. I'd fill the cups up, they'd drain them dry and go thirsty. The yellow valves were too hard to actuate. The chickens use them, but they leave drops in the bottom of the cups. If chickens have issues, I understand why the quail didn't use them.

The weight filling ones are working MUCH better. I've got them saved on the other computer. Mine are white, but I've seen a different style and color.

Have attempted the vertical nipples. For the chickens, they drip and leak and I'm sure would make a mess with the quail. I do recommend the weighted water cups.
I bought the cup waterers that work via a float valve. Those should work for quail. IME they're too easily broken to use with anything bigger.

Back
Top Bottom