➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

egyptian is the roux dilute....they are more of a reddish beige with wild-type feather sexable pattern. the one @FloorCandy pictured is a red-range, scarlet, or roux depending on individual nomenclature. i will post an “egyptian” picture. as I have several
I posted several Egyptians in a post 2 or 3 pages back to reply to @Fenrisulfr , lemme see if I can find it.

Here it is, top is the boys, 1 scarlet 1 Egyptian, the rest are Egyptian hens (with some photo bombers haha)

Your roux chicks are very light, mine are more textured with a lot of light and dark. I’m wondering if yours might have a copy of fee or some other dilution that is lightening the brown areas.

here are some photos of mine, I’m crazy about gingers, so I have 11 scarlet and Egyptian adults.

These are the boys, scarlet in front, Egyptian behind:
View attachment 2502428

Here are some of the girls:
View attachment 2502430View attachment 2502431View attachment 2502432

The roux birds have lighter colored eyes as well, their eyes are much lighter brown, with a reddish or orangish hue.
View attachment 2502436

Your birds all look much lighter, and I think mine look like what photos of Egyptians look like. It could just be a difference between Europe and the us, and the different lines used, or maybe your birds have a dilution of some sort that I’m just not familiar with.

Here in the us, I’ve seen the looks and names of colors and patterns differing even from hatchery to hatchery, so taking into consideration how far away you are, it might just be “local flavor”.

I set a small amount of 1/2 celadon 1/2 snowie eggs and they hatched yesterday. I was so proud of myself because there’s 25 and I had chosen 14 to go to my reptile guy right off the bat. The reds, the dark ones, the regular italians and pearls. I was only keeping the snowies and the yellow one. I have like 20 larger chicks, and an adult male for him to pick up also, it’s getting crowded in the house haha and I have some sex links and more halfies hatching this week. But, we’re having a blizzard, so he cancelled until midweek, and now I’m looking at some of these new chicks and having second thoughts about selling them hahaha. There’s a lady picking up all the adult snowies, and some sex link chicks this week, so I’m saying to myself, “this is it of their genes, shouldn’t I keep just a few more? What if their next gen isn’t as pretty?”
20819D0B-333E-4EC5-B8F6-EFC0D66A64AF.jpeg

So... Would have loved to hatch along with you all - if my birds were actually laying!
So tell me the scoop - they hatched in October and I culled a few males in December. I still have about 10-12 females and a few males. When should I expect eggs?

So... Would have loved to hatch along with you all - if my birds were actually laying!
So tell me the scoop - they hatched in October and I culled a few males in December. I still have about 10-12 females and a few males. When should I expect eggs?
Are you supplementing light for 14-16 hours a day? Do they have fresh feed? Are they happy little quail? Are the roosters crowing?

If no to any of these, they will start when the light approaches 12-14 hours with good feed.

Best wishes!

Are you supplementing light for 14-16 hours a day? Do they have fresh feed? Are they happy little quail? Are the roosters crowing?

If no to any of these, they will start when the light approaches 12-14 hours with good feed.

Best wishes!
I haven't done any supplemental light (so I assumed this might be the biggest reason) - but they seem pretty happy, plump little birds. No crowing from the boys yet. Okay, I'll wait it out- days just got to about 10 hours here (although it's been overcast and chilly - for CA).

I haven't done any supplemental light (so I assumed this might be the biggest reason) - but they seem pretty happy, plump little birds. No crowing from the boys yet. Okay, I'll wait it out- days just got to about 10 hours here (although it's been overcast and chilly - for CA).
you may consider a solar coop light turned on just before dark (they typically run for about 4-6 hours) or put light on a time to add an extra 4-6 hours, it may speed things up. but the longest you ever have to wait for eggs is always from first hatch! my first quail (thanksgiving hatch) didn’t lay until 16-20 weeks 🤣🤣🤣

It's lockdown! Only 46 coturnix eggs made it to lockdown. Out of 20 of my HG eggs, only 1 developed. I lost 4 to my turner breaking in a violent manner, crushing the eggs when it went.
The K.Dale eggs have a great development rate. Two were cracked when I got them, but I have 45 that show really good development with a fair amount of movement.
0202210618a.jpg
0202210618.jpg

Back
Top Bottom