➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Humidity has been around 20% the whole time..... they go into lockdown tomorrow. It’s what humidity I should put them in tomorrow - should I raise it to 30 now for the whole of lockdown (previous hatches I’ve aimed for 40 for the whole if the lockdown) or should I keep them at 20 until they pip - but pipping will raise the humidity too.... once they start pipping humidity becomes quite variable.
It's not going to make much of a difference either way you do it.

I just want you to play with your hatcher by adding water to it to see how much water you need to add to it to bring it to different levels before you put the eggs in it.

So that’s the incubator - the floor is slippery so the tray slides smoothly turning the eggs - it would be a death trap to attempt to hatch the quail inside.... I’d end up with quail stuck in the mechanism & splay legs ect. its simply not designed to hatch in - its designed to function as a continuous incubator & relies on using a seperate hatchery.

so it’s the hatchery I’m setting up now. The hatchery has stabilised dry at 13% - which we all agree is too dry. It’s coming up to 30 now... getting the hatchery to a specific humidity isn’t a problem - I can work it - I just don’t know what humidity is best to aim for! Thanks all for your advice!

soooo if I get the hatchery to 30 to start lockdown ... would you then raise humidity up again at the first pip? Where would you aim to have the humidity rise to at that first pip?
Perfect. Don't stress over the humidity at this point.
I would leave it at 30 until I see the first external pip. Then I would raise it to 50 ish.

It's not going to make much of a difference either way you do it.

I just want you to play with your hatcher by adding water to it to see how much water you need to add to it to bring it to different levels before you put the eggs in it.

Yup - that’s all fine - we’ve been using the hatcher for over a year now... I can adjust that no problem, ventilation is still plentiful.

That’s great thank you! I’ll head to 30 and then aim to keep it around 50 from first pip. Thank you!!!

Hi all,
Just saying hi really.... everything set for lockdown... doing that thumb twiddling thing......reading the internet, learning stuff, remembering things we’ve forgotten since last time, all good!
In interesting news we rehomed some jumbo quail today, beautiful girls, very happy to have them. Compared to our mongrel quail they are tiny? We’ve had quail on & off for few years.... never 100% sure what weve been hatching/keeping though!

My eggs from Southwest Gamebirds arrived a day early, so the incubator is heating up. Gonna set 64 eggs tomorrow: 36 from SW (minus any cracked ones, I haven't candled yet) and the rest my own (wild/falb fee). Most of mine should be fertile this time.

I snagged a free shipping crate yesterday to use as another grow out pen, yay.

I decided to update my autoships from chewy and i noticed they now offer a larger variety of flock feed!! I chose Hudson’s gamebird maintenance and conditioner crumbles but I didn’t see that one on your feed list @Kiki but it sounded familiar and had very good reviews. I will send you the complete nutritional info when it comes in so you can add it. it’s a little more than my RK brand but will be worth it if it increases health, quality of life, egg production etc (and decreases the wagging of 150# from the feed store is a plus too!) 🤣🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom