➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

I used Hudson and was incredibly happy with it, but I used their gamebird starter I think or turkey starter. The maintenance one was lower in protein, I used the one with 24% I believe. I actually have half a bag left, and since the birds prefer pellets to crumbles, I put a little on top each time for them. I only switched because I found a feed store locally that carries southern states brand for much cheaper. If I ever can’t get my current feed, I would go right back to Hudson. My birds were on it for the first year of their life and are still going strong.
I just looked and their price went down a couple dollars, meanwhile all the other feeds I’ve looked into have gone up. The feed store and the pet store told me the mills all raised prices. Now my “cheap feed” is $24.50 and Hudson is 30.69 and comes right to the door. I’m going to watch these prices, I’d prefer Hudson, but it was $33 + change vs $19.99 for southern states.

this bag is for my adults in the aviary and I’ve never tried pellet feed because of the extreme size difference in the birds. I used layer crumbles in addition to my meatbird last year and egg production seemed much better so I think the 18% in the Hudson’s will be perfect for them. I will probably get a bag of the grower later if i like it for all the younger birds. i found it interesting in my research though that feed recommendations for pigeons is only what they will eat in 30 minutes vs free choice 🤔🤔🤔
I find my birds greatly prefer pellets. I tried transitioning to the crumble and they picked all the pellets out first.

Hmmmm - Yup I’ve made exactly zero decisions.... hot plate / vs light.... paper vs shavings.....
Quail definitely keep it creative! Somehow they manage to harm themselves no matter what I try.....
They’ll be inside for the foreseeable anyway - we’ve got avian flu restrictions in place here. I’m thinking wood pellets over rubber matting?.... I can’t see how they could injure themselves with that combination...

Thanks Muddy for the raising the waterer tip..... I’ve been troubleshooting the brooder set up with the new quail we picked up yesterday..... so far I just have shavings everywhere, in their feed, in their water....Remembering why I don’t like shavings in the brooder - ha ha! Off to raise their waterer!

We picked up our brooder over winter, so never tried it before, we used to use a rabbit cage but one of the cats has learned she can fish the chicks out..... no idea how, she’s clearly got Houdini paws!
The new brooder looks to be cat proof & has a light bulb fitting - previously I always used a hot plate. The brooder is made of wood - I’m thinking a 60 watt bulb maybe?
i use the 80W ceramic reptile lamp inside (a little tidbit that I learned here).

i should also add the caveat to elevate your waterer especially with shavings. if shavings get into the waterer, it can cause wicking and drown your quail

It’s like you could see inside my brooder! ........ I was too late.... it wick-ed & one soggy quail cheerfully sitting in the flood..... it that had been the babes they’d be cold & dying.

Thank you!

Off to clean out the brooder.....

It’s like you could see inside my brooder! ........ I was too late.... it wick-ed & one soggy quail cheerfully sitting in the flood..... it that had been the babes they’d be cold & dying.

Thank you!

Off to clean out the brooder.....
unfortunately I learned the hard way! and even with all the precautions, I still have malfunctions from time to time

Back
Top Bottom