➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Some pics of the big babies at 1 and 1/2 weeks old.

Salt is on the left in the dish on the top left, the one eating at the bowl, above the Pom Pom, is exactly what I want in my snowies. Pale gray Italian pattern on the back, very tuxy, full white wings and chest, hoping it’s a hen, would be over the moon if it lays blue.
6930193C-21B3-480E-918F-BC6D7E8E5F67.jpeg

These are pics of the one I thought was an Egyptian tux, but it’s a silver Egyptian, and has this purple tint that’s hard to get on camera, also hoping it’s a hen, even though it will further infest me with wild patterns, I’m down to only 3 adult wilds
A954EDFB-4B0D-4E91-9A15-781E184A4DC8.jpeg
3ED5584D-54E8-46C5-894F-0B86ED792736.jpeg

two flavors of Italian, I think the top has some roux, and will have some light peachy tones, I’ll wait and see, the bottom is what I’ll call silver amber, I have a ton of them, they’re always hens it seems, I believe in the hens the roux acts as incomplete dominant, but the silver gets thru too, but weaker. in males they become what I call dusty rose, where the silver is stronger or equal to the roux, and they are more pale.
2C824246-3897-4C94-AFE7-44D253BF9B56.jpeg

Last edited:
Started collecting Set#3 for eggs. Immediately went from 2 eggs from 3 hens to 1 egg a day. Looks like Set#3 is heading for the freezer after 10 days of collections. It is time to rotate them.

The babies are getting bigger. New coop survived the storms, so I am encouraged. It's not as tippy as it was before the added support and weight. The squatting isn't much of an issue. I put a 5 gallon bucket down and use it as a stool.

The dummy squad are still doing well. One broke it’s toe, but I’ve been keeping it clean with a poultry first-aid antiseptic. It looks like he might lose the very tip of his toe - not sure bc it started looking a lot better today/yesterday. Most of them turn two weeks old today. :)

It’s been in the 50’s-60’s outside all week. The summer weather feels like it came and went while they were in the incubator! I’m just jonesing to get them outside ASAP, they’re messy little monsters. I’m guessing though I’ve got them inside for at least two more weeks, what with the cooler temps. Sigh.

Sorry for all the poop, I hilariously had just fully cleaned it not 5 hours before this photo and was just going in to refill & clean the waterers (I need to get a bigger one).
97038945-1793-409E-B185-E04316580323.jpeg

The dummy squad are still doing well. One broke it’s toe, but I’ve been keeping it clean with a poultry first-aid antiseptic. It looks like he might lose the very tip of his toe - not sure bc it started looking a lot better today/yesterday. Most of them turn two weeks old today. :)

It’s been in the 50’s-60’s outside all week. The summer weather feels like it came and went while they were in the incubator! I’m just jonesing to get them outside ASAP, they’re messy little monsters. I’m guessing though I’ve got them inside for at least two more weeks, what with the cooler temps. Sigh.

Sorry for all the poop, I hilariously had just fully cleaned it not 5 hours before this photo and was just going in to refill & clean the waterers (I need to get a bigger one).
View attachment 2679830
I love this! :) 👍

I admit I snickered at your poop apology, having just brooded ducklings AKA YUCKlings. I had more like 5 seconds, not hours, to snap a relatively poop-free photo. 💩

I love this! :) 👍

I admit I snickered at your poop apology, having just brooded ducklings AKA YUCKlings. I had more like 5 seconds, not hours, to snap a relatively poop-free photo. 💩
Ducklings are totally the worst. We went with quail instead of ducks because we basically just have tiny garden rather than a yard, and were told (and I believe it) that ducks would utterly ruin it, haha.

It drives me bananas because I also keep parrots, whose cages I try to keep super clean since our 30+ year old bird has a lot of sinus issues, so I just have this knee-jerk reaction when I see the mess the quail make.

By the way, Wrong End is still doing great, he’s definitely the smallest. I dunno what gender they are yet as I have avoided handling them since we can’t keep all of them and I am looking forward to inviting a few to dinner. ;)

That almost bit me in the butt though, because when I had to handle the one who broke his toe he passed out and stopped breathing! He’s totally fine and it’s been a few days, but I mean he was legs-extended, gasping for air, and I thought he’d gone septic somehow! Nope. Just dramatic.

Ducklings are totally the worst. We went with quail instead of ducks because we basically just have tiny garden rather than a yard, and were told (and I believe it) that ducks would utterly ruin it, haha.

It drives me bananas because I also keep parrots, whose cages I try to keep super clean since our 30+ year old bird has a lot of sinus issues, so I just have this knee-jerk reaction when I see the mess the quail make.

By the way, Wrong End is still doing great, he’s definitely the smallest. I dunno what gender they are yet as I have avoided handling them since we can’t keep all of them and I am looking forward to inviting a few to dinner. ;)

That almost bit me in the butt though, because when I had to handle the one who broke his toe he passed out and stopped breathing! He’s totally fine and it’s been a few days, but I mean he was legs-extended, gasping for air, and I thought he’d gone septic somehow! Nope. Just dramatic.
I had one who died of shock and I had to massage him back. I was removing a leg band and he freaked, flailed, went limp, and I felt his racing heart stop suddenly. I massaged him quickly and hoped for the best, and after like 20 seconds he had a very dramatic, movie style come back.... dead dead dead hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhah - shoots up alive with a big gasp. Totally fine after that.

Here’s a group photo of the 5 day olds, you may recognize some familiar faces from last season, returning stars, Salt and Pepper:
6F4672C7-6144-41E4-A908-638433190E38.jpeg

Today when the garbage truck ripped the power cable off my house, I decided to put little Salt and Pepper into the brooder with the 5 day olds to help keep them warm. It’s super hot, and with no a/c they were pretty warm anyway. They had a great time, so I left them.

Little Sugar the newest double silver is doing great, smaller than the rest, but healthy and spunky, way smarter than Salt haha, but always gross and doesn’t groom herself. She has poop on her back from like 3 days ago 😝

Sooo cute!! Ah, I just went to check mine for the night and the smell has officially reached unbearable levels. I don't wanna do x2 changes a day, so I think we're going to wrap up their pen, make sure it's protected from drafts and put heat lamps in it and see how they do in it (supervised) over the weekend. I have an indoor/outdoor nightvision security cam...

Back
Top Bottom