➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

I’ve only eaten 1 before now :oops: Both pheasant and chukar are really good......they aren’t gamey because I raise them on good feed. This one had a good amount of fat content as well compared to a wild bird.
My main reason for not raising more for meat purposes is the grow-out time and difficulty of butcher compared to Cornish cross and coturnix

I’ve only eaten 1 before now :oops: Both pheasant and chukar are really good......they aren’t gamey because I raise them on good feed. This one had a good amount of fat content as well compared to a wild bird.
They aren't gamy because you process them immediately and don't carry them around all day with their guts still in them.

They aren't gamy because you process them immediately and don't carry them around all day with their guts still in them.
The only difference I have noticed between 'wild' and 'confined' pheasant, is the wild birds meat texture is a little tougher....more muscular. Other than that, I prefer pheasant over any other gamebird. :love

Off to a bad start with the little guys. Leg looks backwards.
Apparently high temps can cause leg issues but I have an independent thermometer and temps looked good if not a little low. Second hatched is running around ok
View attachment 2677440
Were these home grown eggs or did you get them from somewhere? I’ve been told leg deformities can be caused by poor nutrition in the parent stock.

OK, I'll post some updates in the Jungle Fowl thread and try to stay on hatching quail topic here. But yes, I caught 2 wild hens and a roo, and successfully hatched their eggs, currently have about a dozen chicks.
Off topic jungle fowl is fine here. I don't fuss about off topic. 🙄

Im a wimp with gamey meats, I don’t like dark meat chicken, I don’t really like quail, which is why I’m working on making a healthy double silver line, when I processed my extra male, he was as light pink inside as chicken breast and was not gamey at all. I want to be able to raise meat I’ll eat, and I can’t have chickens in my town.
6299051F-8802-4BEB-B7B9-D6EC39443634.jpeg

this is chicken breast on top, double silver left and regular quail right

Ordered eggs online in hopes for some more females
I had some ordered eggs with crazy leg deformities and someone I know who is in vet school said poor nutrition of the parents is often a cause. I culled several right away with long leg bone deformities, and over the first week or so, I culled several more who went lame from slipped tendons. Future generations of the survivors have not had a single deformed leg, and Ive never had another slipped tendon, but they were raised in the same conditions and incubators, so I tend to think it was the parent stock.

Back
Top Bottom