➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Flavor? Please elaborate. Is it more tasty between 8 and 12 weeks? Wondering.
Hormones are definitely maturing at that age. I second Nabiki's skin comment. There is a whole lotta flavor and worth plucking. It does take time by hand. I'll start doing a couple to three at a time. Seems manageable and we don't have to freeze any.

Round 2.

Just built this foam cabinet incubator and giving it a test run. Mixed coturnix in the front row, white in the back, and Jungle Fowl in between. First batch of 20 in previous incubator yielded 13 of 23, but the three smallest failed to grow and died after a few days. They were mostly very light colored, while the surviving ones were mostly normal dark tuxedos.

Don't know if there's anything you can do to help the smaller weaker ones to survive? I kept them in another incubator to keep them warm, but they never seemed to feed...
IMG_20210518_161029.jpg

Hormones are definitely maturing at that age. I second Nabiki's skin comment. There is a whole lotta flavor and worth plucking. It does take time by hand. I'll start doing a couple to three at a time. Seems manageable and we don't have to freeze any.
We plucked the dozen plus the pheasant Sunday. They are all in brine bucket until this evening. My brine this time is just salt, brown sugar and bay leaves. The hand plucking still only took 30-45 min.

Round 2.

Just built this foam cabinet incubator and giving it a test run. Mixed coturnix in the front row, white in the back, and Jungle Fowl in between. First batch of 20 in previous incubator yielded 13 of 23, but the three smallest failed to grow and died after a few days. They were mostly very light colored, while the surviving ones were mostly normal dark tuxedos.

Don't know if there's anything you can do to help the smaller weaker ones to survive? I kept them in another incubator to keep them warm, but they never seemed to feed...View attachment 2675850
The weak ones... where do the eggs come from?
Do you have Nutri-Drench?

Round 2.

Don't know if there's anything you can do to help the smaller weaker ones to survive? I kept them in another incubator to keep them warm, but they never seemed to feed...View attachment 2675850
Had to look up jungle fowl but now i want some

Attachments

• R2d069f528c0a1d8c5cedfdd1e7186e58.jpeg.jpg
    R2d069f528c0a1d8c5cedfdd1e7186e58.jpeg.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 5
  • R1a1384b3fd8f7e48041273c9403c6ac6.png
    R1a1384b3fd8f7e48041273c9403c6ac6.png
    823.6 KB · Views: 7
Had to look up jungle fowl but now i want some
They are very hard birds to raise as they are very skittish and vulnerable to diseases. If you still want them and you are in the U.S., search for the Richardson Indian red junglefowl when they become available this fall/winter. Or, you may get the hatchery type junglefowl which are not true junglefowl but are much calmer/docile.

so far I have 9 Coturnix quail with three eggs remaining, here are two with a chick that's waiting on it's siblings to hatch before it goes in it's own brooder with them. Pardon the food, I asked one of my boys to sprinkle a little bit down while I was outside doing chores and clearly his "little" is a lot different than mine.
187990641_501069824302375_8314490658907483508_n.jpg
Clearly 10-13 chicks isn't enough so I ordered 48 eggs

Oh and my king/button eggs have started pipping!

Back
Top Bottom