➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

These two however get poop caked on their feet. I’ve taken to just cleaning their feet when I change out the bedding, otherwise it builds up. So weird that it happens to them but not the other guys.
The runts from my last hatch always had poop on them too no matter which bedding I used. They just have more problems in general.

The runts from my last hatch always had poop on them too no matter which bedding I used. They just have more problems in general.
Ugh, that stinks! Did they make it to maturity & move to the outdoor pen? Mine seem more docile than their siblings, less active, and smaller. The poop thing is really frustrating, and I’m wondering if I should modify their pen so that they’re on hardware cloth, but I am worried that will be worse for their little feet; just the poop accumulation has caused some dry skin issues & cracks.

I switched brands of paper bedding to something softer on a whim so I guess I’ll see if that helps. Can you raise quail on sand? I’m wondering if sand might be better.

If these dummies can’t go outside I guess I could grab a cheap rabbit pen off craigslist and accept my fate. One of them is, of course, Wrong End, who has clearly been doomed from the start.

Ugh, that stinks! Did they make it to maturity & move to the outdoor pen? Mine seem more docile than their siblings, less active, and smaller. The poop thing is really frustrating, and I’m wondering if I should modify their pen so that they’re on hardware cloth, but I am worried that will be worse for their little feet; just the poop accumulation has caused some dry skin issues & cracks.

I switched brands of paper bedding to something softer on a whim so I guess I’ll see if that helps. Can you raise quail on sand? I’m wondering if sand might be better.

If these dummies can’t go outside I guess I could grab a cheap rabbit pen off craigslist and accept my fate. One of them is, of course, Wrong End, who has clearly been doomed from the start.
They can be raised on sand, but I think they’ll be fine outside. I’m thinking the chasing has to do with reintegration and not size. I normally must all birds and the pen with vinegar/water before I combine, then I watch them for a while and I squirt any aggressors, they usually catch on pretty quickly. Most runts will grow to be just slightly smaller than the rest in my experience, not the half size you currently have. Also, they might be from a mixed flock, and could just favor standard size more than jumbo. You’re pretty attached, and I don’t want to advise you to do something that could result in the loss of a runt, but the longer they are apart, the more difficult the re intros will be.

If you want to raise them inside I suggest making a bin cage. The rabbit cages, even with deeper trays will not hold the bedding in when they kick and flap.

The females I kept till about 8 weeks then I culled. Pretty much half the size of normal birds and neither were close to laying. They were a little too docile - I caught an early maturing male standing on a male runt who had no idea what was about to happen.
Can you set up a box for the little ones in the pen with some hardware cloth on one side, as a see no touch barrier? You should be able to integrate the females, at least.

I did a bedding changeover in the outdoor pen and sprayed everything down with vinegar water, and put the two littles in, since it’s nice and warm today. Wrong End is a trooper and started exploring immediately.

We have two, possibly three new self-identified males today (one of the tuxes crowed and I can’t tell if it’s the same one as before, Sunshine (a yellowy-orange one the kids liked), and a darker colored guy that is light brown). The light brown one got thoroughly sprayed for chasing Wrong End around.

Is four weeks too soon to process him? He’s a bully, and it’s my first time doing it so it would be mighty convenient if it’s one I don’t like. :plbb Plus, if I start eliminating them NOW I have less drama in the pen...

The tux and Sunshine can stay if they don’t squabble, which they haven’t been doing. Sunshine mostly minds his own business and the tux likes to sit on top a cement block and keep an eye on everyone, which is kind of nice.

I did a bedding changeover in the outdoor pen and sprayed everything down with vinegar water, and put the two littles in, since it’s nice and warm today. Wrong End is a trooper and started exploring immediately.

We have two, possibly three new self-identified males today (one of the tuxes crowed and I can’t tell if it’s the same one as before, Sunshine (a yellowy-orange one the kids liked), and a darker colored guy that is light brown). The light brown one got thoroughly sprayed for chasing Wrong End around.

Is four weeks too soon to process him? He’s a bully, and it’s my first time doing it so it would be mighty convenient if it’s one I don’t like. :plbb Plus, if I start eliminating them NOW I have less drama in the pen...

The tux and Sunshine can stay if they don’t squabble, which they haven’t been doing. Sunshine mostly minds his own business and the tux likes to sit on top a cement block and keep an eye on everyone, which is kind of nice.
It depends on the size. 4 weeks might be a bit small to make a meal, if I off one that age, I remove the feathers/skin, and head and feet and toss it to the dogs. The big boy might not even have to chew a 4 week old lol.

It depends on the size. 4 weeks might be a bit small to make a meal, if I off one that age, I remove the feathers/skin, and head and feet and toss it to the dogs. The big boy might not even have to chew a 4 week old lol.
My pug would be IMMENSELY pleased, my kids would be horrified.

The 9 year old told the 3 year old last week we were eating some of the quail and she’s still upset about it. :tongue

The 9 year old told the 3 year old last week we were eating some of the quail and she’s still upset about it. :tongue
My pug used to eat the huge turkey neck bone in the gibblet bag thing, basically without chewing. My frenchie eats a blade of grass and gags for 10 minutes and eventually pukes, cat style.

Now is the time to get the kids accustomed to the idea. They'll figure out what food looks like. Of course, I've always brought food home that needed to be cleaned.

Zoo trips are shopping trips. :D

Doesn't bother any of them.

Back
Top Bottom