➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Sure...... you might have to help me a little. I’m pretty good with anatomy but I don’t know that I would be able to tell when something’s off in a bird.

I do eggtopsies so I can learn why they don’t make it.
I'm no expert, and they are so small, but I'd like to see how much yolk is left in the belly and what it looks like.

Right below the light is around 95F-100F but they sit right off to the side of the heat lamps unless they got soaking wet while drinking.
That seems just too hot to me.
Can you lower the temp down to at least 90?
(for me :D)

I'm no expert, and they are so small, but I'd like to see how much yolk is left in the belly and what it looks like.
At 7 days, I don't think there would be much if any yolk left....4 day maybe a little...especially if it's been struggling. Idk I haven't done a necropsy on a quail, I have on prairie chickens, really hard to tell anything on something that small. All I had was a magnifying glass...a dissecting microscope would be better but I don't have one.

Thats ok. I will get my chance soon to breed quail and know for a fact that they all get fed excellent nutrition. So hopefully when their eggs hatch, they will be robust for the most part. I’m interested to see what that looks like and if I will be able to see a difference.

I have done about 4 hatches of each now and I can say without a doubt it does make a HUGE difference. My hatch rate and chick strength on my f1-f2 homebreds is significantly higher than shipped from any source. Deformity rate is the same or lower, but 100% have been curled feet from small eggs vs the leg, wing, and horrific skull deformities I have gotten from hatched. I don't think anyone is doing anything wrong, per say - I think even going through the trauma of shipping and being more stale by the time they go in the incubator makes a HUGE difference in the energy available to the chick during and immediately after hatch.

At 7 days, I don't think there would be much if any yolk left....4 day maybe a little...especially if it's been struggling. Idk I haven't done a necropsy on a quail, I have on prairie chickens, really hard to tell anything on something that small. All I had was a magnifying glass...a dissecting microscope would be better but I don't have one.
I could use a microscope for me but I don’t think I could get quality pictures to post on here.

Yeah, the book I have says the yolk should be gone by day ten, so I was thinking that if it is seven days old and the yolk is still there it would be pretty easy to say cause of death was failure to absorb yolk, but at day 4 it would be a little harder, unless the sac looked infected.

Right below the light is around 95F-100F but they sit right off to the side of the heat lamps unless they got soaking wet while drinking.
I keep mine at 95°F for the first week, under the lamp at their level in the brooder. The cool side is around 70 to 75°F

Back
Top Bottom