āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

My one hen has stopped laying for the past 3 days. Her last egg was a lash egg and I am wondering if it is stress causing it because I have no other choice but to keep her with my one other male(or I could separate them). Waiting to get new hens.
Stress can be very hard on them.
It very well could be the reason.
Is she eating well? What do you feed her?

08BAC1B5-8A40-42E5-A191-BD355EE02F2E.jpeg 7767F299-F3D2-48A7-9E40-01081C903CA3.jpeg 7767F299-F3D2-48A7-9E40-01081C903CA3.jpeg 695539E4-185E-472A-ADA1-C1C028420C90.jpeg 7 boys 8 girls 2 silver silkie cross and 2 yeller silkie cross.....1 quail has been pipped and rocking the egg around for about 24hours now.....not sure if he will hatch or not. Still 4 chicken eggs and 10 quail eggs unhatched

Last night we watched this one particular chick hatch, it was a quick 5 minute hatch from pipped to zipped to hatched (amazing) BUT something was not right! It had an unabsorbed organ (??) hanging out of its belly. This morning we found it pretty much dead so we ended its pain :hmm Super sad...

Also encountered a new issue: the first chick that hatched (on day 16, one day early) have legs that cannot support the body. It literally cannot stand up and it's constantly sitting in a "T" shape (like its doing a split..). It's eating and drinking, just having a hard time moving around...we will wait and see...

Last night we watched this one particular chick hatch, it was a quick 5 minute hatch from pipped to zipped to hatched (amazing) BUT something was not right! It had an unabsorbed organ (??) hanging out of its belly. This morning we found it pretty much dead so we ended its pain :hmm Super sad...

Also encountered a new issue: the first chick that hatched (on day 16, one day early) have legs that cannot support the body. It literally cannot stand up and it's constantly sitting in a "T" shape (like its doing a split..). It's eating and drinking, just having a hard time moving around...we will wait and see...

I am sorry. :(
Silly problem children.:barnie

You can try fashioning a hobble for it out of vet wrap or band-aids. It will hold the legs in the correct position until it gains enough strength to stand on it's own.
It's kinda hard to keep the hobble on, they try their best to get it off...just be persistent.

If its got splayed legs (doing the splits) you need to try the hobbles to fix the legs ASAP. If the chick gets older than a few days it is extremely unlikely to be fixed at that point as the muscles and joints will have adapted to the incorrect position. I'm not aware of any cases where splayed legs corrected themselves without intervention.

Splayed legs can be caused by too slippery of walking surface when first hatched/brooded, so you may want to make sure the floor is grippy to prevent further cases.

Back
Top Bottom