➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

12/12 hatched! Set 16 but only 12 were fertile and 2 chicks died shortly after the hatch (one needed assistance, the other one had unabsorb organ(s) hanging out...:eek:). Left with 10 chicks :love

View attachment 1751562

We also tested three different incubators (2 different brands, all Styrofoam ones) at different areas of the house. Here's the result so far...

Kitchen Incubator (Farm Innovators 2450):
Set 95 shipped eggs to start, 15 were infertile, 60/80 made it to lockdown (75%).
Note - this incubator has a cold area in the centre (96), while the edges were at 100.5.

Basement Incubator (Farm Innovators 2450):
Set 120 shipped eggs to start, 19 infertile, 91/101 made it to lockdown (90%:woot).
Note - this incubator has cold spot on the bottom left side (97.6) while other areas were at 101.

Basement Incubator (Little Giant, an old still air model with a dial, fan added):
Set 120 shipped eggs, 17 infertile, 88/103 made it to lockdown (85%).
Note - this old incubator has no cold spots and is quite reliable temp. wise, but had a hard time keeping the humidity in.

There's another 50 or so on day 7, many were infertile (low roos atm).

This is our first time stagger hatching. So far it's worked out well I think...we never really get great results but it's always been acceptable. Also to note that we did NOT let the eggs sit for a day before popping them in the incubators, only about 6 hours.

Just thought I'd share this....in case anyone is interested :)

This is great! I love doing experiments like this! Thank you for sharing the results. And yay chickies!

I am now rotationally taking my dog, three cats, three rabbits, and ~50-some quail on trips outside (the former all on leashes, the latter running amok in my covered garden beds).

Is fun but tiring, oi. Happy critters in the sun is worth it but it will be nice to have the proper cat-io built so it can at least take less energy from me.

12/12 hatched! Set 16 but only 12 were fertile and 2 chicks died shortly after the hatch (one needed assistance, the other one had unabsorb organ(s) hanging out...:eek:). Left with 10 chicks :love

View attachment 1751562

We also tested three different incubators (2 different brands, all Styrofoam ones) at different areas of the house. Here's the result so far...

Kitchen Incubator (Farm Innovators 2450):
Set 95 shipped eggs to start, 15 were infertile, 60/80 made it to lockdown (75%).
Note - this incubator has a cold area in the centre (96), while the edges were at 100.5.

Basement Incubator (Farm Innovators 2450):
Set 120 shipped eggs to start, 19 infertile, 91/101 made it to lockdown (90%:woot).
Note - this incubator has cold spot on the bottom left side (97.6) while other areas were at 101.

Basement Incubator (Little Giant, an old still air model with a dial, fan added):
Set 120 shipped eggs, 17 infertile, 88/103 made it to lockdown (85%).
Note - this old incubator has no cold spots and is quite reliable temp. wise, but had a hard time keeping the humidity in.

There's another 50 or so on day 7, many were infertile (low roos atm).

This is our first time stagger hatching. So far it's worked out well I think...we never really get great results but it's always been acceptable. Also to note that we did NOT let the eggs sit for a day before popping them in the incubators, only about 6 hours.

Just thought I'd share this....in case anyone is interested :)
I love this post!

I am now rotationally taking my dog, three cats, three rabbits, and ~50-some quail on trips outside (the former all on leashes, the latter running amok in my covered garden beds).

Is fun but tiring, oi. Happy critters in the sun is worth it but it will be nice to have the proper cat-io built so it can at least take less energy from me.
Are they all on leash at the same time?? I struggle with just 1 dog can't imagine adding a cat into the mix :lau
Train them quailies yaaassss!

i’m flooded again! :hit luckily it’s not bitter cold this time so I think all outside have survived! I’m down to 1 button though that I moved back into shed with first April Hatch. I should have put them in a small cage in the house :he
my little flying mouse evidently crawled out through the only area not covered by 1/4 HW cloth at some point this past week and as I was looking for him inside the cage, one flushed and went right through the net before I could do anything to stop it! trying to decide about #3 as it’s a loaner now! I set my mother’s day eggs last night and my broody hatch (3 eggs) is due may 9. hopefully will get enough sunshine this weekend to finish aviary and get everyone moved and settled.

Mo
i’m flooded again! :hit luckily it’s not bitter cold this time so I think all outside have survived! I’m down to 1 button though that I moved back into shed with first April Hatch. I should have put them in a small cage in the house :he
my little flying mouse evidently crawled out through the only area not covered by 1/4 HW cloth at some point this past week and as I was looking for him inside the cage, one flushed and went right through the net before I could do anything to stop it! trying to decide about #3 as it’s a loaner now! I set my mother’s day eggs last night and my broody hatch (3 eggs) is due may 9. hopefully will get enough sunshine this weekend to finish aviary and get everyone moved and settled.
:barnie:eek:Mouse.. like a rat type thing?

I hope the sun comes out tonight and dries up your flood. :hugs:fl

Mo

:barnie:eek:Mouse.. like a rat type thing?

I hope the sun comes out tonight and dries up your flood. :hugs:fl
yeah that’s what hubby started calling my brown button “a flying mouse”. it got loose in the shed when we were moving them to the outside hutch and it took us forever to find him!!

yeah that’s what hubby started calling my brown button “a flying mouse”. it got loose in the shed when we were moving them to the outside hutch and it took us forever to find him!!
Phew. I almost thought you meant a real one.
I was going to have to click on the unfollow button.

Back
Top Bottom