➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Can I keep quail cocks in isolation for an extended period of time or will they go crazy? I am thinking about my breeder setup. I will have 4 breeder cages. I sort of want to keep one male in each cage at all times, even when the females are not breeding and get to go back to the layer cages. I will need to give them breaks in breeding and I will not be able to hatch constantly. I only have 1 incubator and 1 brooder. So the highest frequency for setting eggs will be every 8 weeks. There may be times I decide not to hatch for longer periods though.

I thought about a bachelor pad cage, but from what I understand (limited knowledge from reading a few forums on BYC) coturnix cocks will fight. So keeping them in the breeder cages individually while the hens are out of breeding is the next option I came up with.
D9EF4D72-6ABE-4460-B380-BB4122FC37C7.gif
You seriously think you’ll wait that long between hatches? I give it three weeks in between max!

View attachment 1650055
You seriously think you’ll wait that long between hatches? I give it three weeks in between max!
I do feel addicted... my incubator only got turned off long enough to clean it and let it air dry, less than 24 hours. It then got turned right back on to set 4 turkey eggs. Wish I had more than 4, but that's what a local fellow BYC member was able to collect and give me from her 1 turkey hen who is laying.
I alway want to set more quail eggs with the turkey eggs. There is just so much room in the incubator... Wish I had a local quail egg source so I could just pick them up. Nobody around me though that I could find.

The crowing will drive you NUTS!!

Can you keep one and cycle him through the pens?
(Assuming the ladies accept him)
I like this idea. It actually goes inline with line breeding. I will keep at least two though because I have TX A&Ms and Jumbo Browns. I want to raise both and see what crosses I get as well.

@Texas Kiki You will be happy to know I am going to clean the brooder today. :D I need to wait for my little guy to go to bed though, which is will be around 8:30.
:woot:woot
I'll be cleaning mine soon too...for the third time today.:duc

Back
Top Bottom