➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Yup had them wander away from the plate & get cold, at least one every hatch. I’m no expert with quail at all ... we seem to lose too many post hatch for quite frankly bizzare reasons? I’ve even had one get fatally entangled in paper towel when we tried that as bedding.
So far never we’ve had one jammed around the plate legs but I completely believe they could manage it.... they don’t seem great on survival instincts.
I was considering using both options for a heat source - one at each end? but maybe the light is a terrible idea if they’ll be drawn to it and away from the plate??
Maybe a ceramic thingy & a plate combination? Or two plates? But then I worry there’s no cool end to move too... but they don’t seem to instinctively seek the warmth when they need too.
They’ll be brooding inside. Typically it’s a week in the hatcher to gradually drop them 5-10 degrees C then into the brooder.

I’ve found that putting a small light next to the brooder on the side with the plate helps them find their way back if they go too far. I’ve had one wander out at night, cry in the far corner, and the rest went to that corner and piled up there shivering. If there’s a small light in the dark, they will travel toward it. If there’s no light, they get lost. if it’s outside, I would just use a heat lamp, because I’d be scared they will get lost, and if you leave a night light on, you might as well forget the plate and just use a heat light.
I didn’t post it out here but there are also other advantages to heats lights.

12.1 - Benefits of the infra-red lamp
Infra-red lamps not only serve to warm the chick, but act in depth, on the tissues and muscles, fixing calcium in the bones and supporting the expansion of the blood and lymph vessels, thus improving blood circulation and, consequently, the nutrition of cells. This promotes healthy growth of the chick which will also be more resistant to disease. The reflectors (used to convey heat) and infra-red lamps are available on the website:

Yup had them wander away from the plate & get cold, at least one every hatch. I’m no expert with quail at all ... we seem to lose too many post hatch for quite frankly bizzare reasons? I’ve even had one get fatally entangled in paper towel when we tried that as bedding.
So far never we’ve had one jammed around the plate legs but I completely believe they could manage it.... they don’t seem great on survival instincts.
I was considering using both options for a heat source - one at each end? but maybe the light is a terrible idea if they’ll be drawn to it and away from the plate??
Maybe a ceramic thingy & a plate combination? Or two plates? But then I worry there’s no cool end to move too... but they don’t seem to instinctively seek the warmth when they need too.
They’ll be brooding inside. Typically it’s a week in the hatcher to gradually drop them 5-10 degrees C then into the brooder.
it’s hard to not overthink it 😂 but yeah I’ve had some pretty creative deaths by quail chicks. Some plates I think have a better design. Mine is the eco glow that has straight enclosed legs. Which can make it more difficult to navigate than ones with small circular legs.

it’s hard to not overthink it 😂 but yeah I’ve had some pretty creative deaths by quail chicks. Some plates I think have a better design. Mine is the eco glow that has straight enclosed legs. Which can make it more difficult to navigate than ones with small circular legs.
I have the rent a coop brand, and the only heat plate deaths I’ve had are 2 times I put a leg down on a chick and didn’t notice. I try really hard to avoid them, but seriously they work hard to get crushed, and didn’t cheep when it happened so I could lift it off.

Just trying to keep them alive really!
hubby thinks maybe I try too hard... and higher losses are just inevitable with quail - but as you say they really do push the boundaries of unexpected!
Our hot plates are all “chick comfort”s with tiny narrow spindly legs - maybe that’s why the quail have never managed to get stuck yet? They fitted the ferplast rabbit cages beautifully.... our incubating:brooding set up worked really well for chickens, it was reasonably ok for quail - but one of the cats is just too clever.... so we have to change our set up this year whatever we hatch. It’s just that the quail have come first this year.

If we can improve it for the quail - the others should be ok!

I’m thinking stick with the hot plate & pop a little led night light under it to encourage them not to stray?

I have the rent a coop brand, and the only heat plate deaths I’ve had are 2 times I put a leg down on a chick and didn’t notice. I try really hard to avoid them, but seriously they work hard to get crushed, and didn’t cheep when it happened so I could lift it off.
The really do push the boundaries on survival don’t they! I always think getting out of an egg looks traumatic enough & then there is brooding quail???? It’s a while other level of unexpected!

I didn’t post it out here but there are also other advantages to heats lights.

12.1 - Benefits of the infra-red lamp
Infra-red lamps not only serve to warm the chick, but act in depth, on the tissues and muscles, fixing calcium in the bones and supporting the expansion of the blood and lymph vessels, thus improving blood circulation and, consequently, the nutrition of cells. This promotes healthy growth of the chick which will also be more resistant to disease. The reflectors (used to convey heat) and infra-red lamps are available on the website:
I’ve never used a bulb type heat source ever. This is the first time it’s been a serious option....
I know nothing!
do you use infra red?

I’ve never used a bulb type heat source ever. This is the first time it’s been a serious option....
I know nothing!
do you use infra red?
I have used them all. I have a hatch coming up in 2 weeks. I will be brooding them in the barn after a few days in the basement. Sick of the mess in the basement. I will be using a red heat bulb to play it safe as it is still pretty darn cold here in New England. Especially after reading the additional benefits that only confirms my choice.

I’ve have used them all. I have a hatch coming up in 2 weeks. I will be brooding them in the barn after a few days in the basement. Sick of the mess in the basement. I will be using a red heat bulb to play it safe as it is still pretty darn cold here in New England. Especially after reading the additional benefits that only confirms my choice.
It’s just too cold here too. Assume I know nothing.... (coz that would be right!) do infra red bulbs come in wattages? Do I need to do a volume calculation? I’m sure I heard somewhere red light can make birds aggressive? Is that even vaguely true?
Would you mind telling me your thoughts on what to choose on infra red bulbs?
I completely get that everyone’s set up is different - I’m not here to judge - I’m just sure I could do better! Everyday I’m grateful for learning something new.

Back
Top Bottom