āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

It seems they hatched a bit early, so you were probably running just a bit warm. There may be cooler spots, some might be slower, you may get a few more today and even tomorrow. As you get to know your bator, you can dial in more precisely from experience, but you may have a wider spread when your just getting used to it. Last hatch all mine hatched day 18-19, I pulled out the shells, eggs that didnā€™t pop,etc, and had a tray that I had set a week later so it was still in the bator running, humidity back down. on day 22 I hear peeping! An egg had rolled into a back corner and I hadnā€™t noticed, and it hatched 4 days late! Normally I candle, then open eggs to make sure Iā€™m not tossing eggs with live chicks, but Iā€™m short and it was far back and I missed it. It was late because it was albino and it died on the 3rd day due to what I assume were internal issues, so it was a collection of odd events, but you never know.
I did have an albino hatch, and another that tried to hatch and died :-( The one that was rocking earlier also hatched and seems to be healthy. The albino one is super tiny, far smaller than the others, so Iā€™m not hopeful we will have him long. He is holding his own and gets up to drink by himself already, so fingers crossed I guess! Hatching/incubating is not for the faint of heart :-(

I did have an albino hatch, and another that tried to hatch and died :-( The one that was rocking earlier also hatched and seems to be healthy. The albino one is super tiny, far smaller than the others, so Iā€™m not hopeful we will have him long. He is holding his own and gets up to drink by himself already, so fingers crossed I guess! Hatching/incubating is not for the faint of heart :-(
Albinos often have problems. I hope yours turns out okay, but keep a close eye for signs of blindness.

Hey, what kind of chick waterer is that? Do you use it from day one?
I put them in from day 1, but I also put a plastic lid with rocks for the first day, just to make it easy. Then, when I take out the shelf liner from the brooder and switch to wood chips, I take it out and theyā€™re already used to the waterer.

Hooooly toledo, I just had an adventure with my Sportsman.

So it was time to lock down a batch of quail eggs, plus I have to get in there daily to tend to the goose eggs anyways.

I open the door and two brahma eggs come tumbling out and hit the floor. Thank goodness they were fine.

Come to find out, Hatch Keeper, for reasons I don't know, decided that the brahma eggs were going to take 27 days to hatch. And I never double checked the dates, I just trusted it, so as far as I knew, going by Hatch Keeper, they weren't even due for lockdown.

Imagine my surprise to find that the eggs came out because they had been knocked loose by three chicks that had hatched. While the turner was going. In the second rack of the incubator.

Thank goodness they somehow fell down through and into the hatching tray at the bottom without getting hurt.

So anyway, after frantically checking them over, moving them, and moving the rest of the eggs into the lockdown incubator (and just in time, another is zipping right now), I managed to get the quail eggs pulled out and locked down as well.

Jeez. I never intended to hatch in the Sportsman. I definitely never intended to hatch like that.

36 HG eggs set this morning
At least 3/6 pheasant eggs with external pips!!!
I bumped the temperature down a bit on the HGā€™s since my last batch hatched early
611F975F-DE43-4C89-BDD5-E7DC344E0EE6.jpeg

I candled my button eggs. I could definitely see veins and growth in 14 of them. 9 of them have shells that are just too hard to see anything through. The last one looks clear, but I'm not 100% certain yet, so I left it in there.
I seriously considered setting the 5 button eggs I found but huge long shot on fertility......she was the odd hen out and no male for over 2 weeks now.

My quail eggs were definitely late bloomers, so my early temperature issues appear to have had an impact as I worried it would. All the babies that have not hatched properly and died were all yellow and since I have an albino chick that made itā€”Iā€™m guessing they may have had some issues? :-( So far the albino baby that hatched seems healthy and able to see and walk and eat/drinkā€”heā€™s just small! I now have 7 babies and a couple more that have pipped, although they are not in good spots on the egg so Iā€™m not hopeful on those! They are all busily running around and eating and are super duper cute ā¤ļø

Attachments

• 0DA9A2B9-F36A-47DD-905D-8E65638816C2.jpeg
    0DA9A2B9-F36A-47DD-905D-8E65638816C2.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom