➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

My quail eggs were definitely late bloomers, so my early temperature issues appear to have had an impact as I worried it would. All the babies that have not hatched properly and died were all yellow and since I have an albino chick that made it—I’m guessing they may have had some issues? :-( So far the albino baby that hatched seems healthy and able to see and walk and eat/drink—he’s just small! I now have 7 babies and a couple more that have pipped, although they are not in good spots on the egg so I’m not hopeful on those! They are all busily running around and eating and are super duper cute ❤️
The yellow one in your photo looks like it is not albino, but probably silver. You will probably see it darken as it ages. If you have a silver, there’s always the possibility that some of the yellows that didn’t make it were double silver, probably not all of them though, since 2 silvers would produce 25% as double silvers, 50% as silvers/silver split with their other genes, and 25% of what the other genes besides silver that they carry are. Were these shipped? Because shipping can have a big effect on your hatch success as well.

The yellow one in your photo looks like it is not albino, but probably silver. You will probably see it darken as it ages. If you have a silver, there’s always the possibility that some of the yellows that didn’t make it were double silver, probably not all of them though, since 2 silvers would produce 25% as double silvers, 50% as silvers/silver split with their other genes, and 25% of what the other genes besides silver that they carry are. Were these shipped? Because shipping can have a big effect on your hatch success as well.
Hmm... That makes me wonder about the three chicks I had which hatched/partly hatched but then died. All of them were yellow, and I do have a couple silver chicks.

Hmm... That makes me wonder about the three chicks I had which hatched/partly hatched but then died. All of them were yellow, and I do have a couple silver chicks.
It all depends on how the breeder set up the pen. To have the most healthy silvers you need to pair them with non silvers. The silver gene is incompletely dominant so it will carry with just one silver parent. The double silvers have a higher chance of poor health and mortality in the egg.

Oh that’s interesting! I’m impressed you could tell that from the pictures, the lighting is terrible :) Do silvers often have pink or light red eyes? I did wonder based on the faint color on its back if it was truly albino. These weren’t shipped, I got them from a local lady about 40 mins away and they probably got moved around a lot on the drive home. But she has all her quail in one big coop, so mating is a free for all. That would explain the hatching issues. I’m excited if it is a silver, I think that coloring is so pretty!

I really appreciate the insights! I took genetics eons ago and it’s definitely NOT like riding a bike...haha. I will need to brush up on things if I want to breed any in the future!

Hooooly toledo, I just had an adventure with my Sportsman.

So it was time to lock down a batch of quail eggs, plus I have to get in there daily to tend to the goose eggs anyways.

I open the door and two brahma eggs come tumbling out and hit the floor. Thank goodness they were fine.

Come to find out, Hatch Keeper, for reasons I don't know, decided that the brahma eggs were going to take 27 days to hatch. And I never double checked the dates, I just trusted it, so as far as I knew, going by Hatch Keeper, they weren't even due for lockdown.

Imagine my surprise to find that the eggs came out because they had been knocked loose by three chicks that had hatched. While the turner was going. In the second rack of the incubator.

Thank goodness they somehow fell down through and into the hatching tray at the bottom without getting hurt.

So anyway, after frantically checking them over, moving them, and moving the rest of the eggs into the lockdown incubator (and just in time, another is zipping right now), I managed to get the quail eggs pulled out and locked down as well.

Jeez. I never intended to hatch in the Sportsman. I definitely never intended to hatch like that.
What do you mean when you say the app decided?
I just went to look and there is no option of brahma eggs to choose from. You would have had to add it.

I have not added any options and these are the only ones to choose from:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210423-185645.png
    Screenshot_20210423-185645.png
    301.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20210423-185701.png
    Screenshot_20210423-185701.png
    333.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20210423-185656.png
    Screenshot_20210423-185656.png
    340.2 KB · Views: 1
What do you mean when you say the app decided?
I just went to look and there is no option of brahma eggs to choose from. You would have had to add it.

I have not added any options and these are the only ones to choose from:

Yeah, I didn't pick them as a breed, just had them as Chicken, and left breed as unknown. Chicken egg hatch time is 21 days, which is what the app is supposed to default to. For whatever reason, it did 27 days.

Oh that’s interesting! I’m impressed you could tell that from the pictures, the lighting is terrible :) Do silvers often have pink or light red eyes? I did wonder based on the faint color on its back if it was truly albino. These weren’t shipped, I got them from a local lady about 40 mins away and they probably got moved around a lot on the drive home. But she has all her quail in one big coop, so mating is a free for all. That would explain the hatching issues. I’m excited if it is a silver, I think that coloring is so pretty!

I really appreciate the insights! I took genetics eons ago and it’s definitely NOT like riding a bike...haha. I will need to brush up on things if I want to breed any in the future!
Silvers can often have blue eyes, and light colored eyes can show pink when you shine a light in them because the blue tint is too light. So they might look purply pink especially as chicks, but once they’re bigger you may notice they aren’t. My double silvers have purply eyes which looked more red if I held them near a light when they were chicks. One has always been blind, one went blind over the first few weeks. But a double silver or an albino will be pure white with no hint of color at all. I had an odd one once, not long ago, with pinkish eyes, born totally yellow. As it’s pins grew in, they looked dark and I couldn’t tell if it was from the blood in the pins or hints of color, and then at like 9 days old it died suddenly with no obvious signs of a cause so I think it was messed up internally. It had been growing fine, but these things happen, and more often with SSC from what Ive seen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom