➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

My curl toe chick has made a full recovery and is in the brooder with the rest. He was the worst. Kept getting one or both shoes off, and developed a shuffle with his legs v’d out with the toes curled in, wings out touching the floor on either side, and scuttling around that way. He kept his scuttle for a bit in the brooder, even though his toes were spread he was still touching the ground and crouch walking. But I woke up today and he’s mostly tucked his wings in, still a bit out, but not down at least, and he’s walking tall and normally, he kinda looks like he’s always coming in for a landing, wings out, running around. His tuxedo runs down his back and about 1/3 of each wing, I call him Mr. T because with his wings always spread, his pattern looks like a T.
45842FB8-AF2E-4F96-96F4-038370B43924.jpeg

This is my 2nd group of chicks with the ceramic bulb, and I think not having light definitely has an effect. They are on my normal house light schedule, so at about 8 it’s lights out for them, with only the hall light around the corner giving a bit of light for the kids at night. The last hatch I had one brooder on red light and one brooder on the ceramic, and the ceramic chicks were flight training super early, and at 6 or 7 days were flying out of the 50 gallon brooder. The red bulb chicks were not as interested in flight. This hatch I only have 1 brooder, and they are using a ceramic heat bulb. They are flight training like crazy. They barely have any pins, 2-3 days old, and I think one got off the ground on sheer willpower!

This is my 2nd group of chicks with the ceramic bulb, and I think not having light definitely has an effect. They are on my normal house light schedule, so at about 8 it’s lights out for them, with only the hall light around the corner giving a bit of light for the kids at night. The last hatch I had one brooder on red light and one brooder on the ceramic, and the ceramic chicks were flight training super early, and at 6 or 7 days were flying out of the 50 gallon brooder. The red bulb chicks were not as interested in flight. This hatch I only have 1 brooder, and they are using a ceramic heat bulb. They are flight training like crazy. They barely have any pins, 2-3 days old, and I think one got off the ground on sheer willpower!
Same heat source, mine are doing the same dang thing.

Had to keep the lid on the brooder today when I went to change the feed/water. I imagine by tommorrow I’ll need to put them in their old brooder with the lid on to clean the soiled bedding out, as me working in there seemed to really inspire them, lol.

Wrong End still likes me. At least one of them isn’t ungrateful.

Can’t wait to tell the kids that when I say they’re snack sized, I’m not really joking...

Had to keep the lid on the brooder today when I went to change the feed/water. I imagine by tommorrow I’ll need to put them in their old brooder with the lid on to clean the soiled bedding out, as me working in there seemed to really inspire them, lol.

Can’t wait to tell the kids that when I say they’re snack sized, I’m not really joking...
I feel like my 2 day olds are showing 5 day old behavior.

Last hatch no one was inspiring them, the room was empty, my husband heard alarm calling, and figured one was stuck in the bowl and went to check it out, but he found one waddling down the hall toward the kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom