➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

It's never vacation without an emergency right before I leave. Had a hen with a broken beak, was able to stop the bleeding so I let her live. She is eating and doing fine, whew.

Won't candle till lockdown Wednesday but no eggs exploded while I was gone :) hatch should start over the weekend. I think I set 60 eggs.

AAHHH they're hatching and it's still day 14. I had to remove the egg turner and now I see two pipped after the first one hatched. Temp was supposedly 99.9% the whole time!!!
Okay, I checked again and it's like day 15 1/2. So I guess I was the one that was behind in lockdown.

Four are out. There are some REALLY dark chicks, Not sure how those genes got there. Will have to wait and see once they dry out what chick color they are (not to be confused with adult color, which also changes)

Curious for those of you who might know. I remember reading somewhere that sparkly males have brown faces, but I can’t remember where. This is one of the k dales, I think it’s sparkly pharaoh, is this male, brown face, reddish brown chest under the patterning. Anyone know?
1357E652-1426-47B1-8D16-32F88BF2D87E.jpeg
AB8A4FF9-4800-411D-82F1-920E4CC14AD3.jpeg

Curious for those of you who might know. I remember reading somewhere that sparkly males have brown faces, but I can’t remember where. This is one of the k dales, I think it’s sparkly pharaoh, is this male, brown face, reddish brown chest under the patterning. Anyone know?
View attachment 2728968View attachment 2728969
Males of a lot of colors have brown heads…..that sure looking male to me

Males of a lot of colors have brown heads…..that sure looking male to me
Ty, I feel like I read somewhere that sparkly is harder to feather sex but to the trained eye... and it went on to say brown faces, and rusty chest, but I’ve never had these before and it’s hard to determine what is brown pattern and what is red chest.

I just had my first 'exploding' egg experience...well, the incubator smelled a little off for the past few days (week?) but whatevs, I didn't think much of it, thought it might just be a different 'brand' since these are also the first quail I've incubated that weren't from my own flock. Thankfully it didn't actually explode, just a huge crack and worse smelling this time when I opened to turn them. I threw it out and left the incubator open for a minute and sprayed the eggs with peroxide. I don't smell anything anymore. What caused this? It's day 10. What is the risk? Should I do anything?

I just had my first 'exploding' egg experience...well, the incubator smelled a little off for the past few days (week?) but whatevs, I didn't think much of it, thought it might just be a different 'brand' since these are also the first quail I've incubated that weren't from my own flock. Thankfully it didn't actually explode, just a huge crack and worse smelling this time when I opened to turn them. I threw it out and left the incubator open for a minute and sprayed the eggs with peroxide. I don't smell anything anymore. What caused this? It's day 10. What is the risk? Should I do anything?
If you hatch enough, it will happen! Since you got it out before it actually exploded, it most likely did not negatively impact the hatch. I would candle in a couple of days just to make sure the others are developing properly. Sounds like you handled it very well!!! It was just a bad egg.

View attachment 2728968View attachment 2728969
If we're going by face markings, this one looks like a male. Females will have crescents on their cheeks.

What's everyone's experience when opening the incubator for early birds? Five hatched today and needed to be taken out. I opened the incubator carefully and quickly several times. Temps may have dropped five degrees for a minute or so. I see 1 pip and the rest of the eggs intact with 1 1/2 day to go until day 17. I know it's early. I know I should have some confidence, but I'm so afraid that the early open will jinx the upcoming ones.

Back
Top Bottom