āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

I am extremely happy with the size of these quail but I can never pick my processing start date.. all of a sudden it's "today". These 5 week old boys are acting like 7 weeks and the same size too. I have a 290g hen and 270g roo. Wonder if I'll get eggs earlier than 8 weeks. This hatch had more hours of light than the previous ones - 24 hours the first 12 days then 17-18 hours after that.

I think I am going to keep my largest falb fee roo to breed, he is pretty much average weight for this hatch. Hopefully he's not a jerk because I don't have a backup.

I am extremely happy with the size of these quail but I can never pick my processing start date.. all of a sudden it's "today". These 5 week old boys are acting like 7 weeks and the same size too. I have a 290g hen and 270g roo. Wonder if I'll get eggs earlier than 8 weeks. This hatch had more hours of light than the previous ones - 24 hours the first 12 days then 17-18 hours after that.

I think I am going to keep my largest falb fee roo to breed, he is pretty much average weight for this hatch. Hopefully he's not a jerk because I don't have a backup.
I had a Grau Fee lay at 6.5 weeks and a Falb Fee lay her first egg at 7 weeks! I was impressed! The Falb Fee is my biggest hen too. Good luck with your male! :)

Not in my opinion.
I agree! Not what I would call wry neck. I think it's a developmental issue, neurological in nature, idk for sure but I have seen this many times before ....the fact that it keeps getting 'steam rolled' by other chicks doesn't help in it's ability to keep it's balance. Give it a few days or weeks to see if it catches up with the rest of the hatchlings.

i was cleaning out the incubator this morning and had 1 more that was still alive!! i zipped it and will cull it tonight. I lost 2 in the brooder today. 1 was another assisted late hatcher and not sure about the other.

i was cleaning out the incubator this morning and had 1 more that was still alive!! i zipped it and will cull it tonight. I lost 2 in the brooder today. 1 was another assisted late hatcher and not sure about the other.
i think it was still my best hatch yet overall! i ended up with over 50 chicks between the uncollected homegrown eggs and the auction win.........not sure what to do with them all :eek:

I lost 2 Mongolian hens last night/yesterday after leaving for work. They were fine when feeding and watering...dead when I got home.
They were in with my Abyssinian Blues 2 males 1 female. They were fine in the brooder but after putting them in a grow out pen, the Abyssinian's became aggressive and cannibalistic towards the Mongolians....overnight! They were all only 8 weeks old. Just one more species that can't be raised with another species! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I lost 2 Mongolian hens last night/yesterday after leaving for work. They were fine when feeding and watering...dead when I got home.
They were in with my Abyssinian Blues 2 males 1 female. They were fine in the brooder but after putting them in a grow out pen, the Abyssinian's became aggressive and cannibalistic towards the Mongolians....overnight! They were all only 8 weeks old. Just one more species that can't be raised with another species! :rolleyes:
i lost 1 quail and 1 of my ringneck female chicks within the last several weeks. not exactly sure of the cause but the pheasants have some bald patches as do multiple quail.
so we bought barn lime and a permethrin treatment. Now i just have to find the time to turn the aviary and get it down.

Back
Top Bottom