➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

I used to rarely get double yolkers, but my hens didn't lay regularly till about week 9-10. Got a ton from the last hatch, who also started laying extremely early, week 5-6. Maybe that's part of it?

Just my theory but I think the Cot's bloodlines are becoming so inbred that this is the reason for alot of peeps reporting double yolks and now you reporting a triple yolker!

With everyone basically getting birds from the same breeders and trading back and forth, who knows where 'their birds' actually originated and the purity of the bloodlines.
I agree, I think breeding for jumbos also adds to this, as the ones who lay big eggs are often linebred over and over. I have a jumbo hen who lays almost exclusively double yolkers, but only lays a few times per week, and as she’s getting older, fewer and fewer. She came from a large hatchery, and beyond her giant eggs she also has droopy eyes, and in the past month or so one eye has kind of gotten more deeply inset and she can’t see from it, she always turns her other eye towards noise or food. Ironically, her daughter, who is her only successful hatch, lays tiny eggs that look like button eggs. The daughter doesn’t have the droopy eyes, but is otherwise identical to her but smaller. The daughter hatched out of a double yolker, but one died inside and hatched out a chick and a blob of reddish orange goop.

Here’s a pic of mother’s egg, daughters egg, and a normal egg:
D03D526E-AD8C-49C9-B3DF-3AFD51FEE078.jpeg

There’s definitely something going on in this bloodline.

I agree, I think breeding for jumbos also adds to this, as the ones who lay big eggs are often linebred over and over. I have a jumbo hen who lays almost exclusively double yolkers, but only lays a few times per week, and as she’s getting older, fewer and fewer. She came from a large hatchery, and beyond her giant eggs she also has droopy eyes, and in the past month or so one eye has kind of gotten more deeply inset and she can’t see from it, she always turns her other eye towards noise or food. Ironically, her daughter, who is her only successful hatch, lays tiny eggs that look like button eggs. The daughter doesn’t have the droopy eyes, but is otherwise identical to her but smaller. The daughter hatched out of a double yolker, but one died inside and hatched out a chick and a blob of reddish orange goop.

Here’s a pic of mother’s egg, daughters egg, and a normal egg:
View attachment 2835393
There’s definitely something going on in this bloodline.
Yep, I would say so too! What exactly, idk but the chromosomes are definitely lining up in different configurations. Some alleles are begining to show their recessive nature. This is starting to happen in all captive birds, due to the import laws, it's hard to get or find pure bloodlines.
That egg really does look like a button egg! :eek:

Yep, I would say so too! What exactly, idk but the chromosomes are definitely lining up in different configurations. This is starting to happen in all captive birds, due to the import laws, it's hard to get or find pure bloodlines.
That egg really does look like a button egg! :eek:
All her eggs look like that, and they have yolks, I haven’t incubated any, so no idea what kind of a weirdo would hatch if any went all the way. I’ve never owned buttons so it is only visually similar, no chance it’s a button.

All her eggs look like that, and they have yolks, I haven’t incubated any, so no idea what kind of a weirdo would hatch if any went all the way.
I certainly wouldn't want that trait to get into the captive population....but then again it might posses a lethal gene? and not be able to develop?
I think I would incubate a few of her eggs...just for grins! Would be interesting to see what if anything develops....you can always cull if a cimera happens!

Last edited:
My Tennessee Reds I hatched out this season are incredibly tame! The first Reds I ever hatched, around 35 years ago, were wild and aggressive as any bird I have ever kept....one reason I didn't want to raise them anymore. I don't know if it's from being captive for so long or I just got lucky with this bunch?

My Tennessee Reds I hatched out this season are incredibly tame! The first Reds I ever hatched, around 35 years ago, were wild and aggressive as any bird I have ever kept....one reason I didn't want to raise them anymore. I don't know if it's from being captive for so long or I just got lucky with this bunch?
Just got lucky if that is how you view it. I occasionally get a tamer than normal batch of keets from the same group of guineas.

I certainly wouldn't want that trait to get into the captive population....but then again it might posses a lethal gene? and not be able to develop?
I think I would incubate a few of her eggs...just for grins! Would be interesting to see what if anything develops....you can always cull if a cimera happens!
I’ve thought about it, I have 5 eggs or so sitting on top of her cage, she lives inside away from general pop, just as part of my blind boy’s harem. I’ve got chicks hatching in 2 days, maybe I’ll toss them in. They’re so small I can’t imagine they’ll develop, but the dad is super tiny, so who knows.

So, how does this work? I got 24 eggs (a&m, jumbo brown and silver) in the mail and am preheating the magicfly incubator so I can put them in before bed.

Back
Top Bottom