➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

I set 26 more eggs tonight - the color variety plus the replacement black eggs. Fingers crossed for a good hatch! Everyone think Sparkly thoughts for me. I really would like to have some true Sparklies, and this assortment should have some Sparklies in it.

That sounds like the 2 I had. They just never really perked up after hatching, and then passed away 🙁
There are 2 types of white weirdos that spring from Myshire SSC types. More common are the double silvers, which are generally smaller and have more dark purply eyes. The albinos have bright pink/red. I’ve raised both. I’ve worked really hard on healthy double silvers, and I have a nice line that generally do really well. From the start I culled any with bulging eyes and deformities.

3 of my original myshire eggs hatched double silvers, one was a super healthy male, just blind. From there I grew my little group. From them and others, I eventually got some albinos, and I had quite a few I raised to adults, but I lost many of them to the cold this winter, they aren’t hearty. I have the remainders inside. Other than sensitivity to the cold, the albinos all grew up with no issues, big and healthy. The double silvers are always smaller and more sensitive to minor changes, and more difficult to raise. The benefit of having an indoor cage of blind birds is I use that as my hospital. Any injured bird can recover there because they don’t peck wounds. so, sad sick birds don’t have to huddle alone while they recover, and tbh I think they have a higher rate of recovery and recovery speed this way.

The biggest hurdle is the first week and getting them eating and drinking. They also flail their faces into the food due to blindness and get tiny particles in their eyes, which need to be very carefully removed or they will get infected and die quickly. But this passes as they age. They will never use nipples so they need cup style drinkers, and open top feeders, I use these bowls I got from Christmas tree shops, they’re little whale shaped pots that you put a tiny potted plant into and put on a desk. This is perfect because the base is wider than the top opening, so it’s harder for them to kick food out when they get inside the bowl.

They're almost 3 weeks old now. I have to be careful now that they're flying.
PXL_20220119_224810598.jpg
PXL_20220119_225023682.jpg

Back
Top Bottom