➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

View attachment 2035589
View attachment 2035590
On Saturday February 22nd I received my order of 50 Celadon quail eggs from Reno quail. Upon opening the box I discovered that they were packaged great! One had a little dent in it, but he sent 6 extra, and all of the rest seemed to be in great shape!

I let them sit for several hours to get up to room temperature, candled them for cracks or loose air cells (which I didn't notice any) and placed them in my incubator around 4:30pm.

Forced air incubator with auto turning set to 38c and 55% humidity for the first 16 days, then will bump to 75% humidity on lockdown. (Numbers seem weird, but it's what usually works for me)

I'm super excited because this breeder claims that all (98%) of his hens from this line lay Celadon eggs!

I will candle them on day 6\7 to check for development!

They are due to hatch March 12 (+\-)

Follow along!
Sweet!
Have you ever incubated quail eggs before?
Do you happen to have a link to Reno quail?

Your first two batches... How did they go?
I'm just a tad bit worried about your humidity being too high.

Some videos from my first hatch in the links.

My first hatch:

OK. So out of 60 shipped eggs....
2 human error eggs lost
8 dead in shell
1 random chick death
3 deformed chick deaths (culls)
3 still attempting to hatch
22 empty/no development at all eggs.

Which leaves me with 21(24) chicks.

My second hatch I got 50 local eggs
40\50 hatched no problem
2 random chick deaths
2 dead in egg
3 quitters
5 empty

Your first two batches... How did they go?
I'm just a tad bit worried about your humidity being too high.
Also, I'm not entirely sure if my humidity reads accurately. I'm pretty sure it's way off, but I've just "Anne Oakley'd" it and got used to "shooting with a crooked barrel". I had dozens of chicken hatches with no problems, hatched a couple dozen duck batches, and a Muscovy group as well with decent success. I've got my personal incubator down to a science. I also keep it in a room with a fireplace, so the humidity in the room around it is close to 0.

The oddball is feathering out pretty well! Do pearls/pansy fees normally have a little rust in with the white and black body feathers?
F217A30B-1C88-46EF-822C-3987DB18AABC.jpeg
FDB5AC76-458D-40A4-9495-19E9C2691B99.jpeg

The oddball is feathering out pretty well! Do pearls/pansy fees normally have a little rust in with the white and black body feathers?
View attachment 2035718View attachment 2035716
Since this was a falb fee hatch, I would call this one a pearl, and yes I’ve seen some rusty coloring in some of my pearls (before zack started shipping pansy fee). I believe your oddball to be an italian..... @Kiki should have the notes on color possibilities from falb fee hatch to verify.;) my app is being mean to me right now, but i will upload a photo of one of my pearls @4 weeks from last year.

Since this was a falb fee hatch, I would call this one a pearl, and yes I’ve seen some rusty coloring in some of my pearls (before zack started shipping pansy fee). I believe your oddball to be an italian..... @Kiki should have the notes on color possibilities from falb fee hatch to verify.;) my app is being mean to me right now, but i will upload a photo of one of my pearls @4 weeks from last year.
Falb fee can throw Italian.

That dummy looks very much like some of my pansy fees.

Back
Top Bottom