➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

So Egyptians are Roux Dilute (the left one)?

View attachment 2501647
View attachment 2501656

The darker ones are the Roux chicks.
Your roux chicks are very light, mine are more textured with a lot of light and dark. I’m wondering if yours might have a copy of fee or some other dilution that is lightening the brown areas.

here are some photos of mine, I’m crazy about gingers, so I have 11 scarlet and Egyptian adults.

These are the boys, scarlet in front, Egyptian behind:
EE09A4F7-3816-4309-B407-8686E53A3BAB.jpeg

Here are some of the girls:
284ADDB3-8C24-443A-A6E0-4B2A474B3EC7.jpeg
6DDA21C1-6F36-4310-9898-78882C9A2A90.jpeg
7E344DF1-DAAF-4AA7-9B84-D8B24FE72178.jpeg

The roux birds have lighter colored eyes as well, their eyes are much lighter brown, with a reddish or orangish hue.
705D5B33-768B-4D87-93A6-7573CD3C2C82.jpeg

Your birds all look much lighter, and I think mine look like what photos of Egyptians look like. It could just be a difference between Europe and the us, and the different lines used, or maybe your birds have a dilution of some sort that I’m just not familiar with.

Here in the us, I’ve seen the looks and names of colors and patterns differing even from hatchery to hatchery, so taking into consideration how far away you are, it might just be “local flavor”.

Oh so beautyful birds 😍

Yes, they have the Fee gene, I know it. I got 100% Falb Fees crossing them with a Pharao roo.
I thought this is the Dilute, in Roux Dilute 🤣😉

So Egyptians are Roux. Cool
that this is cleared now 😁
Yes, exactly, roux dilute creates scarlet and Egyptian, scarlet is range pattern and Egyptian is wild. It works the same as Rosetta though, scarlets will often have some lacing and barring bleed thru if they have mixed lineage of range and wild.

If you cross roux and Tibetan you can get males that basically look like very rosy rosettas. I have one I call copper because he’s very red toned with a nice blend of red and Tibetan, with Tibetan not being quite dominant enough to block out all the red.

Your fee roux are lovely, and once I’ve got my snowie group 100% celadon, I plan to get working on some roux fees from them. I’ve kept my smoothest, least barred and laced scarlet hens, someone is picking up the rest in a week or so, and I’ll have plenty of space. I do have a crazy pearl that has developed a bright swath of red markings along its back, and they’re spreading every day:

A40D18F7-D2F2-49B0-AE90-A09210083694.jpeg
2AC068A0-BBD9-4DD4-A4D7-B4043D4F8F74.jpeg

He’s only about 3 weeks, maybe 2 and 1/2 weeks, but has red chest feathers already so it’s a definite male. He came from a pen with 6 scarlet hens, 3 egyptian hens, a couple rosetta hens, and 2 silver manchurian double fee males, and a silver probably single fee Italian male.

I notice with my 5 common hens that none sit on their eggs. Why is that?
Coturnix quail have greatly lost the urge to brood their own eggs due to so many years of being domesticated. Some do brood, I have several broodies, but I don’t trust them to keep at it or do it right. Sometimes they’ll roll over off the eggs and not notice, sometimes they go to eat and see another egg on the way and sit on it instead.

7CD11EF0-9A4A-4806-AE5D-3EC4FB2DFA4F.jpeg
Final for QB#19 - 4 chicks. 11 infertile.
Australorps
11 set
3 infertile
3 late quitters
5 chicks - shrink wrapped guy is running around with others. Based solely on comb appearance, 2 cockerels and 3 pullets. No idea if this is even close.

Back
Top Bottom