🌱Growing With Ben🌱 ~ The Chonicles of the Troublesome Seeds

Which fruits/vegetables have you successfully grown before?

• Total voters
Pics
Just got some of my falls seeds thrown into dirt this morning. I have to get some more seeds that I don't already have on hand. This will be my first try at a fall crop and my first garden planting since leaving Indiana. I'm pretty excited.

Just got some of my falls seeds thrown into dirt this morning. I have to get some more seeds that I don't already have on hand. This will be my first try at a fall crop and my first garden planting since leaving Indiana. I'm pretty excited.
So exciting!! Please keep us posted.

Can I ask where you moved to after leaving Indiana?

Visited some relatives in South Carolina this weekend. I’m just regretting that I didn’t take any photos of their gardens.

The house is beautiful, gardens all around the house. Man, she’s got literally everything. Veggies and fruits. Strawberries, Blueberries, Gooseberries, Kiwi (so cool to me! they look like grape vines), Grapes, Tomato’s, Cucumbers, Garlic, Dill, Apples, Pears, Watermelons, other Melons, etc. Plus hundreds of flowers surrounding their property.
Literally everything. Talk about self sustainability. They have a dog, a cat, and I have convinced them to get chickens. They’ll be getting them in a couple months once it cools down a bit. They’re lucky to get a centimeter or two of snow every year.

On a different note…
I’m going to see if I can get a watermelon once I get back from vacation, and see if I can grow one. @R2elk and anyone else, what were your suggestions for getting started with watermelon?

On a different note…
I’m going to see if I can get a watermelon once I get back from vacation, and see if I can grow one. @R2elk and anyone else, what were your suggestions for getting started with watermelon?
Prob too late to plant watermelon now. I’m in zone 5 and find melons difficult, so maybe specifically look for a variety that grows well in your area! 😊

I saw the peppers from the garden and thought, why the heck not?

Are these seeds viable? How do I go about germinating them?

8A5937E7-8F07-4A98-98F9-33842465FEEF.jpeg

B7FA5AA6-5DD8-428C-8F51-90BCBF9893AB.jpeg

I saw a video where someone used an empty plastic strawberry container when planting them to get the greenhouse effect. They say it will germinate in a couple weeks after planting and watering regularly.

6CD5A6C5-BC02-4DEB-94CB-7C405B634D2B.jpeg

I think I’m going to try this. I’ll replant when the plant gets too big for the strawberry container (is that a good idea?).

71F72CAB-8299-40B9-B4C2-097C01DF95D0.jpeg

@R2elk @NatJ

Yet again, I failed. No sprouts after 7 days. A couple even got moldy. :th
Heck, I spoke too soon.
I got rid of the moldy ones, threw the un-sprouted seeds into the pot, and hoped for the best.

I had someone watering them during vacation.

I had 0 hope for the seeds to sprout. And they didn’t. Not above the surface of the soil, at least.

I was just ready to get rid of this pot and soil (or plant something else into it) this afternoon, and I thought, let me just dig through to see if the seeds are still there.

Well, what-daya know? 3 sprouted below the surface.

I must have planted them to deep or didn’t wait long enough… 2 of them looked okay, one looked a little yellow.

I watered them with the seeds sticking out of the surface and put them next to the window with some plastic wrap over the top (for humidity).

Here’s one of the healthy ones.

1EB0DE01-08C1-4A4E-A5C3-FE3C67818059.jpeg
D8406EDE-36AE-4E0F-8187-ED725B07D1E8.jpeg

Fingers crossed these things grow. :fl

I saw the peppers from the garden and thought, why the heck not?

Are these seeds viable? How do I go about germinating them?

View attachment 3209245

View attachment 3209244

I saw a video where someone used an empty plastic strawberry container when planting them to get the greenhouse effect. They say it will germinate in a couple weeks after planting and watering regularly.

View attachment 3209246

I think I’m going to try this. I’ll replant when the plant gets too big for the strawberry container (is that a good idea?).

View attachment 3209247

@R2elk @NatJ
Unless you plan on keeping them inside, it is the wrong time of year to be starting vegetable seeds. I start my pepper seeds about the 2nd weekend in March, I plant them in Jiffy Strips , about 4 or 5 seeds per cell. Takes about 10 to 14 days for them to germinate. Once they are up and getting tall I transplant each plant to a 3" Jiffy Pot .

After the roots are well developed I transplant them to one gallon plastic pots. After it is past the last frost I transplant them into the garden about the 1st of June.

You can grow pepper plants indoors with sufficient light and a big enough pot. I currently have 3 plants in the greenhouse that need a longer growing season than I have available. They are in 3 or 4 gallon pots now.

Unless you plan on keeping them inside, it is the wrong time of year to be starting vegetable seeds. I start my pepper seeds about the 2nd weekend in March, I plant them in Jiffy Strips , about 4 or 5 seeds per cell. Takes about 10 to 14 days for them to germinate. Once they are up and getting tall I transplant each plant to a 3" Jiffy Pot .

After the roots are well developed I transplant them to one gallon plastic pots. After it is past the last frost I transplant them into the garden about the 1st of June.

You can grow pepper plants indoors with sufficient light and a big enough pot. I currently have 3 plants in the greenhouse that need a longer growing season than I have available. They are in 3 or 4 gallon pots now.
Thanks. I will keep them inside then.

By the time spring rolls around, I think they’ll be ready to be transplanted to the garden… or my neighbor’s sunroof. The sunroof still gets cold in the winter, but not as cold as the outside, obviously. Will that’s plant do fine if I move it in the greenhouse during winter (**only if it gets too big to keep in the house)?

Thanks. I will keep them inside then.

By the time spring rolls around, I think they’ll be ready to be transplanted to the garden… or my neighbor’s sunroof. The sunroof still gets cold in the winter, but not as cold as the outside, obviously. Will that’s plant do fine if I move it in the greenhouse during winter (**only if it gets too big to keep in the house)?
It will die if the temperature gets down to freezing.

King Arthur Bell pepper inside.
King_arthur_pepper_plant_X2243525_02-24-2014-001.jpg

King_Arthur_pepper_XB059784_11-05-2019-001.jpg

King_Arthur_pepper_XB059785_11-05-2019-001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom