Hi there!

In April 2021 I bought two Barred Rock ā€˜pulletsā€™, to add to my flock.

Four months later, my two Barred Rock look a bit different from each other. One has a small pink comb, and the otherā€™s wattles, comb, and overall face is completely developed and red!

This morning, I saw my more developed Barred Rock let out a loud squawk/screech at 6am, twice, for no reason. When it made this noise, it stretched out is neck and everythingā€¦..I know roos start crowing around 4-6monthsā€¦..šŸ˜…

Also, this chicken has pecked me once, when I tried to pick it up, likes to chase the other pullet, and basically take on chickens much larger than itself. The other pullet is much calmer and nicerā€¦.Just more proof that I have a roošŸ˜‚

I am enclosing some picsā€¦.I am 99% sure this ā€˜pulletā€™ is a roo!!

Attachments

• D02E87CD-0069-4458-A158-FDB04106DA0F.jpeg
    D02E87CD-0069-4458-A158-FDB04106DA0F.jpeg
    488 KB · Views: 99
  • FFE6AC3A-90B4-4FF5-8E93-6E9B4F22DBFF.jpeg
    FFE6AC3A-90B4-4FF5-8E93-6E9B4F22DBFF.jpeg
    574.6 KB · Views: 62
  • B9505E29-A67E-4E36-BB0A-02CE4294029D.jpeg
    B9505E29-A67E-4E36-BB0A-02CE4294029D.jpeg
    756.8 KB · Views: 64
  • ADAAD20B-5CF5-42A5-AF2B-BE94E4CA373C.jpeg
    ADAAD20B-5CF5-42A5-AF2B-BE94E4CA373C.jpeg
    496.6 KB · Views: 64
He's a cockerel, the other is a pullet.
I've seen cockerels start to crow at a week old. Cutest little sound!

As to when he will service them.... Well, its going to start of violent. Cockerels don't have any manners when they start off. It could be a good idea to actually separate him from the others for several months until his first hormones calm down.

He's a cockerel, the other is a pullet.
I've seen cockerels start to crow at a week old. Cutest little sound!

As to when he will service them.... Well, its going to start of violent. Cockerels don't have any manners when they start off. It could be a good idea to actually separate him from the others for several months until his first hormones calm down.
Oh my goodness a rooster šŸ˜…

Thanks for the info! He has been getting a bit rowdy with my larger golden comets and the Barred Rock Pullet, however the always put him back in place.

one of my largest hens, and I mean she is probably 3 times his size, is the alpha of my flock. When my roo is bigger and fully grown, can the pecking order change, and have him be the alpha?

Oh my goodness a rooster šŸ˜…

Thanks for the info! He has been getting a bit rowdy with my larger golden comets and the Barred Rock Pullet, however the always put him back in place.

one of my largest hens, and I mean she is probably 3 times his size, is the alpha of my flock. When my roo is bigger and fully grown, can the pecking order change, and have him be the alpha?
Sometimes. Hey may learn manners yet, if she's bossing him around. But he may decide she's his favorite and spend all his time trying to dominate and mate her.

Yep 1 cockerel 1 pullet, as far as servicing, our BR that ended up being a cockerel was clumsy, no manners, and hormones raging in the morning. The mating came before the eg gas For us. He wanted what he wanted first thing in the morning whether the girls did or not. Heā€™d just kind of jump on them and take it. They stopped wanting to come out of the coop in the morning. We eventually got rid of him (he attacked our at the time 5 year old). After our 4 girls were much happier and laying regularly. Heā€™s very handsome. I miss ours but know it was for the best in our situation. Ours was not top of the pecking order though.

Wow thanks for all the info!

itā€™s crazy that out of the 99% chance of getting a roo from a pullet flock, I had to get that 1%!

90% accuracy rate is what the hatcheries advertise, but judging from the masses of posts in here where people have unexpectedly gotten a cockerel, I have to question that. Also, sometimes TSC will mix straight run chicks with sexed pullets. So it is not always the fault of the hatcheries.

If you can keep him he may turn out just fine. Some roosters do, some don't. It's really the luck of the draw.

Back
Top Bottom