1 egg has a red ring. Bad?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Moochie, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    So as I was pecked by my broody and candling her 6 eggs, I noticed one egg has a red circle... Not lining the whole shell, just a red ring floating about. Today is day 3 of her incubation. The rest of the eggs are dark and on a few I can see a little dark dot in the middle of the yolk. The green eggs from my EE hen are hard to examine though, I know she's been laying fertile eggs though. They look dark.

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    At 3 days incubation, you gotta wait a bit. Try again in 4 days.

3. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:Hiya nurse_turtle! [​IMG]

Oh and day 18 is when I stop candling right? I haven't done this since March..

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I only candle on day 10 and day 17. Before that is just too iffy. [​IMG]

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC

MOOCH! Hiya. Yea, On day 18 no more candling, only waiting. Feel free to candle again after day 21 or so to see if there is anyone in there who might hatch a bit late. I've never hatched with a broody but I assume after day 18 you don't wanna cause mama hen to lose her humidity magic under that wing. I would trust her a lot more than I'd trust my incubator. You'll be fine.

6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010

MOOCH! Hiya. Yea, On day 18 no more candling, only waiting. Feel free to candle again after day 21 or so to see if there is anyone in there who might hatch a bit late. I've never hatched with a broody but I assume after day 18 you don't wanna cause mama hen to lose her humidity magic under that wing. I would trust her a lot more than I'd trust my incubator. You'll be fine.

No! Use the float test - keeps the humidity if the chick is still alive !! [​IMG]

7. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I do not know these magic ways..
    I know I shouldn't candle until later but I'm so curious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by