1 egg has a red ring. Bad?

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
So as I was pecked by my broody and candling her 6 eggs, I noticed one egg has a red circle... Not lining the whole shell, just a red ring floating about. Today is day 3 of her incubation. The rest of the eggs are dark and on a few I can see a little dark dot in the middle of the yolk. The green eggs from my EE hen are hard to examine though, I know she's been laying fertile eggs though. They look dark.

Quote:
Hiya nurse_turtle!
frow.gif

Oh and day 18 is when I stop candling right? I haven't done this since March..

Last edited:
Quote:
Hiya nurse_turtle!
frow.gif

MOOCH! Hiya. Yea, On day 18 no more candling, only waiting. Feel free to candle again after day 21 or so to see if there is anyone in there who might hatch a bit late. I've never hatched with a broody but I assume after day 18 you don't wanna cause mama hen to lose her humidity magic under that wing. I would trust her a lot more than I'd trust my incubator. You'll be fine.

Quote:
Hiya nurse_turtle!
frow.gif

MOOCH! Hiya. Yea, On day 18 no more candling, only waiting. Feel free to candle again after day 21 or so to see if there is anyone in there who might hatch a bit late. I've never hatched with a broody but I assume after day 18 you don't wanna cause mama hen to lose her humidity magic under that wing. I would trust her a lot more than I'd trust my incubator. You'll be fine.

No! Use the float test - keeps the humidity if the chick is still alive !!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom