mychickensgivemelife

In the Brooder
Nov 27, 2022
Australia
I have 6 lovely black astrolorps a called the Fockers, this 1 has no feathers on her back and it’s been like this for awhile. The others peck at her new feathers trying to grow, but now it’s seems like they’re not even appearing anymore. I’m not sure what I can do, all my other chickens have excellent feathers but I do feel sorry for this little one since it’s been chilly recently. Also she is consistently laying an egg a day has a normal functioning crop and plenty of energy, there’s nothing wrong with her apart from her bald spot! Thanks.

Attachments

• E9BEDE3F-74AB-4849-856C-2EC0A02B6E86.jpeg
    E9BEDE3F-74AB-4849-856C-2EC0A02B6E86.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
That's not rooster damage. It appears to be the result of feather pecking/ plucking. Do an on site search on Pin Less Peepers. If you put them on the flock mates she may be able to regrow her feathers. Another solution would be to remove her from the flock. That would require dealing with reintroduction problems in the future.

Is there a rooster in your flock? It might be humping that hen. They sometimes have favorites and the cock’s spurs will often rip out the feathers.
I would advise a hen saddle or a sweater. That will keep her warm, and will also let her feathers grow back, no pun intended.
No rooster, I live in suburb but I noticed the ladies sometimes go on top of one another. I always wanted to get her a little sweater but I could never find one!

Is there a rooster in your flock? It might be humping that hen. They sometimes have favorites and the cock’s spurs will often rip out the feathers.
I would advise a hen saddle or a sweater. That will keep her warm, and will also let her feathers grow back, no pun intended.

A rough mounting rooster, enthusiastic cockerel, or too many roosters/cockerels will cause this. Not the spurs.
Occasionally the bare back hens are just a favorite of a particular roo, she's just breed too often.
Saddle yes, no on the sweater.

No rooster, I live in suburb but I noticed the ladies sometimes go on top of one another. I always wanted to get her a little sweater but I could never find one!
Some hens are tomboyish … I once had one of those. It’s a sign of dominance in hens. Your poor girl is probably bottom of the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom