1 rooster, 15 hens - why so much crowing?

grolarbear

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2018
I have one Ayam Cemani rooster and 15 assorted hens on 1/3 acre. We live in the 'burbs and no one else around has chickens. I was hoping having a large harem and no competition would reduce his inclination to crow.

My neighbors haven't said anything but the coop is near my bedroom window and I am not one of those people who enjoy the rooster crowing from 7:30am to whenever. I'm experimenting with putting him in my isolation coop at night because it stays dark in there and the sound is muffled. He's also learning to wear a no-crow collar.

Is there anything else I can do?

Eat him? Haha, totally just kidding!!! My Ayam cemani roosters love to make noise too, especially when they want something from me like treats or to be let out... I also try to keep them inside the coop to muffle the noise for the neighbors until at least after 7 in the morning. And I might have bribed the closest neighbors with free eggs. I think people are usually nicer about noise issues if you express that you understand the concern and are attempting to do something about it. We have one neighbor that lets their dog bark all. Night. Long! And never says a word to the dog, I get that dogs bark, but it would be nice to hear that they realize their dog is being a pain.

Other than getting another rooster you will just probably have to live with it. Some breeds (I have no experience with Ayam Cemani) and some individual roosters just crow more than others.

I could, but he’s 2nd gen GFF stock. I’d like to use him for breeding with three of my AC girls. I guess I’ll just learn to live with it :/

I too would be singing loud and proud,,,
Since you want chicks, can the coop be relocated?
Mine is right outside my bedroom window, so I can hear them at night, but the crowing does not bother me, in fact I am already up when they start.

I have one Ayam Cemani rooster and 15 assorted hens on 1/3 acre. We live in the 'burbs and no one else around has chickens. I was hoping having a large harem and no competition would reduce his inclination to crow.

My neighbors haven't said anything but the coop is near my bedroom window and I am not one of those people who enjoy the rooster crowing from 7:30am to whenever. I'm experimenting with putting him in my isolation coop at night because it stays dark in there and the sound is muffled. He's also learning to wear a no-crow collar.

Is there anything else I can do?
Wait- your roo waits till 7:30 to crow?! Lucky. Both mine start just before 5.

I too would be singing loud and proud,,,
Since you want chicks, can the coop be relocated?
Mine is right outside my bedroom window, so I can hear them at night, but the crowing does not bother me, in fact I am already up when they start.

If I could get a bunch of very strong men to move it, sure :p Its currently located per the county's laws on how close it can be to my neighbor's houses.

Back
Top Bottom