1 Sick Chick, 1 Crooked Foot & 1 Wing Issue

The toes have always been bent like that or is it new?

Weve never noticed it until a couple days ago, so I feel like it must be new. But, that chick in particular has never tried to roost so maybe it wasn’t very noticeable and is just getting worse.

When I left this morning the temperature under the light was at 72, and we have the temperature gauge taped onto the roost bar so it’s above the ground. They are not trying to get away from the heat, which is why we’ve left it on. The outside temps have been in the 40s. Based on the size of them when I got them, I think 2 are 6 weeks and 3 are closer to 5 weeks. The sick one is on the younger side.

Welcome to BYC. I haven’t seen the wing feather problem before, even in my reading. The foot problem could be a vitamin/mineral deficiency, or possibly a leg bone deformity. So I would use some poultry vitamins or vitamin B complex, and check to see that the chick vitamins contain riboflavin—nutridrench does not. I prefer Poultry Cell by Rooster Booter, or 1/4 tablet of b complex crushed onto food daily. With a foot problem splinting may help making a chick shoe with tape or using pipe cleaners or popsicle sticks . Here is a link about chick shoes:
https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...-toes-are-all-curled-up-whats-wrong-H293.aspx

Thank you! I am headed to the store on lunch and will get your suggested vitamins and some vet wrap to make her a shoe.

Great on the temp. I was thinking you were keeping them way warmer than that.

It there anything the he could have caught his toes on in the cage and possibly messed them up? If not it is probably a " birth defect."

No, not really, we do have the food and water on a block of wood so it’s off the ground, but besides that there’s nothing else in there.

Thanks for your help. We’re going to attempt a splibr to see if we can straighten it out a little. She is still thankfully able to walk, just not roost.

Have you had any experience with weak or sick chicks? That one doesn’t seem to have any respitory issues (which is the only sickness we’ve experienced with our other chickens) she is just really weak. We’ll try giving her some vitamins but I’m not sure what else to do.

Hi there,
I have three 5 week old chicks that are having some issues.
1. Onagadori chick that we noticed was no longer able to walk. We thought something was wrong with her legs and isolated her so she wouldn’t get trampled, but the legs look ok and she just seems too weak to stand. She is eating and drinking but is not getting any better.
2. Cream leg bar that looks to have developed a crooked foot. I read about foot braces, would it do any good to try to make her one at 5 weeks old?
3. Another cream leg bar that most of the time holds her wing feathers up. I can’t see anything wrong with the wing (but I also don’t know what I’m looking for) and she can hold it normally, but prefers to keep it this way. Should I tape it down?

Any input would be much appreciated! :( It looks to be a life or death situation for the first chick.

No, not really, we do have the food and water on a block of wood so it’s off the ground, but besides that there’s nothing else in there.
Thanks for your help. We’re going to attempt a splibr to see if we can straighten it out a little. She is still thankfully able to walk, just not roost.
Have you had any experience with weak or sick chicks? That one doesn’t seem to have any respitory issues (which is the only sickness we’ve experienced with our other chickens) she is just really weak. We’ll try giving her some vitamins but I’m not sure what else to do.
I'm sorry to hear about your chicks.
How fresh is your feed? Does it have a mill date?

The Onagadori do you have better photos of her? What does the poop look like?
Being weak and something wrong with the legs? Maybe I missed photos of that one?

The one with Crooked Toes, you can try correcting them, but by this age, I don't know if that's possible or not. I agree with giving the vitamin therapy to see if that helps.
Crooked toes can be caused by a few things, usually it's genetic or could be from improper incubation. Since there's a strong possibility that it could be genetic, then you would not want to breed this particular bird. https://poultrykeeper.com/skeletal-and-muscular-disorders/crooked-toes/
upload_2019-2-19_9-43-54.png

The wings, I can only take a guess - Angel Wing? I don't think there is anything you can do to correct it, but again, it's a guess and I'm not familiar with it. This one has a lot of growing to do along with some mini-molts, it's possible the next set of feathers that come in may come in "normal".
http://www.raising-chickens.org/is-my-chicken-okay-.html

upload_2019-2-19_9-47-9.png

Back
Top Bottom