1 Sick Chick, 1 Crooked Foot & 1 Wing Issue

Pics
Posting a sad update here

After no progress with the cream leg bar, I brought her to the vet and she had to be put down. The vet thought it was likely a birth defect. Both legs became rotated and she started showing neurological signs.

I came home and the onagadori chick, who had recovered and been put back with the others, was walking around crazily in circles with her head backwards most of the time. It is clear today she is sick again and I’ve isolated her. She can walk but falls over like she’s off balance.

Has anyone seen something like this before?
I'm so sorry about your loss:hugs

Sounds like the Onagadori chick has Wry Neck which is a neurological symptom. Mareks, vitamin deficiency, genetics and head trauma are a few of the more common causes.
You can try vitamin therapy to see if that helps.
400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.
Since she had problems early on, she may have some deformities like the other one, even though they are not the same breed, poor genetics or incubation can cause issues. If you happen to lose her, a necropsy and testing for Marek's would be a good idea, this will give you the most information.
NC has 4 state lab locations, the Arden lab is the closest one to you.

Arden Laboratory
785 Airport Road
Fletcher, NC 28732
Phone: (828) 684-8188; Fax: (828) 687-3574
http://www.ncagr.gov/vet/ncvdl/VetLabDirectoryArden.html

upload_2019-3-2_7-49-40.png
upload_2019-3-2_7-49-49.png

Hi again,

The onagadori died a couple days ago :( I did not have time to take her to a lab. I am now just focusing on my three healthy chicks.

I contacted Feather Lover Farms, just to let them know of the issues, and no response whatsoever. I have been looking to write a review on them, and can't find anywhere where they have reviews posted (which should have told me something!). I searched the threads here and found a few negative posts about them, including from last year where another person had to put their chick down for slipped tendons. I wish I had searched earlier.

Anyways, just wanted to thank you all for your help!

Hi again,

The onagadori died a couple days ago :( I did not have time to take her to a lab. I am now just focusing on my three healthy chicks.

I contacted Feather Lover Farms, just to let them know of the issues, and no response whatsoever. I have been looking to write a review on them, and can't find anywhere where they have reviews posted (which should have told me something!). I searched the threads here and found a few negative posts about them, including from last year where another person had to put their chick down for slipped tendons. I wish I had searched earlier.

I'm sorry for your loss.
I'd probably not buy from those people again if I were you.

Hi again,

I'm so sorry to hear this:hugs
You did everything you could for her.

Back
Top Bottom