10 Baby Wood Ducks (1st thought they were Mallards)

Pics
When I first got them he was a pain to put in the coop at night and after a week he knocked himself silly one night so it was safer for him. I usually clip them when I get them to get them use to their surroundings and keep them from hurting themselves then when the feathers grow back they are fine.
Ah, mine don't coop at night. In the winter, the pen where they spend their nights is enclosed with plastic to block the wind and snow, and they also have a box in an upper corner that has bedding if they want to use that. I don't think they would enjoy spending evenings with my chickens. LOL!

I know that frenzied flying. Mine will do it also when spooked.

The real reason why there are indentations on the ends of cinder blocks.

20200730_190717.jpg

They are so beautiful, love those voices. any idea what that means? or is it just happy calls?
I think it's a call for other wood ducks. They talk like when one of them gets separated from the others or if they feel alone, so it's a "calling" sound. When they're together, they softly chatter, and yes, sometimes when they're together, they get yapping like this. It's usually early evening. I sometimes wonder if they do that in the wild. I think it would draw predators, but what do I know, I'm not a wood duck.

It's getting to be spring/breeding time. Maybe this hen has had enough of that pompous drake sitting below her. <smile>

I started this post in an established thread under another topic, but thought I would re-post it here for help and input.

Late yesterday, baby mallards were trapped in a storm drain. 4-5 people got together to rescue them. Mama mallard was around for a time, but then left. (I live in a semi-residential/rural area.) Since it was late, the babies would not be safe from predators if they left them on site. Only a little distance away, a friend lost her whole flock of hens to a predator (except the lone survivor, who now lives with my hens -- we call her Lucky).

One of the rescuers is our town's wildlife/animal person (not sure of exact title). She also works full-time at a shelter and part-time at a turtle rescue. Another one of my friends was there. I know they would have left the babies on-site if they thought they would be safe and successfully reunited with the mother. They checked this morning to see if the mother was around, and she wasn't.

About 6:30-7:00 pm, I got a call, and I rushed together some accommodations for these little ones. I am less than a week away from getting more chicks for my tiny flock (I have 3 hens), so I had a lot of the resources on hand. Suffice to say, the 10 ducklings slept well in a large plastic container with a mama cave, water, and crumbles (albeit, chick crumbles).

This morning, I made them some mash with lettuce, corn, carrots, and mealy worms. Just a few minutes ago, I made up a finely mashed mix of hard boiled egg and mealy worms. My husband also brought home duckling crumbles (22% protein). Also this morning, I added a scant of water to my work sink, temperature was tepid, and let the ducklings splash about a bit.

They're starting to settle in, although I still have jumpers trying to work their way out of the box.

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Now, for the pictures!
View attachment 1820842
Why do those duck look like my old male wood duck when he was a baby. Sadly he past away when he was 6 years old ): A bit to young but he was very weak when he was young sadly he died to young at 6 years ):

Back
Top Bottom